Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Dropped and dunked heater

Well I was all excited for my pretty new heater, but the way I've abused it these last ten minutes you might think otherwise! :o

Not realizing that it wasn't packed in a hundred twisties and zip-ties, I pulled open the package of my new heater and it slid out - landed on the table. Picked it up and there was no visible damage, so I figured all was well then got it ready for the tank.

THEN, a minute after putting it in, I turn around to see that the heater slid through its holder and that some of the top part was submerged. Ugh.

I doubt it will be a problem, I mean these things are built to be around water and I'm sure the manufacturers account for that, but should I be worried? I doubt I should but at the same time, it was a bit more than I should have spent right now sooooo :doh11:

any thoughts?

EDIT:

Derp. wow.

It's a Fluval M200

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3579693&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

Haha sorry. This one is glass coated, partly why it's freaking me out more. It still lights up, appears to be working just fine. But the instructions do say to make sure the water line stays up to a certain point, and not past another.

Edited by jenzaar

Could you tell us what brand of heater you have? Some are glass and some are plastic coated.

What's the make and model?

Does the heater instructions say anything? My Aqueon heaters can be fully submerged my guess would be that yours is the same but I would read the instructions.

Aren't they fully submersible? Or have I only purchased fully submersible and there are some that are not? :idont

Seems like they should be fully submersible. Creeps me out every time I stick it in there nonetheless. :rofl

Could you tell us what brand of heater you have? Some are glass and some are plastic coated.

What's the make and model?

Does the heater instructions say anything? My Aqueon heaters can be fully submerged my guess would be that yours is the same but I would read the instructions.

Haha sorry. That was silly of me to leave out! :peeka

They're fully submersible, according to Fluval. They had to put the line on there for Canadian regulations or something, from what I've read. I use mine submerged all the time. :)

E. And for a glass filter they're pretty durable. Mine gets bumped about more than it should and still does great.

Edited by ChelseaM

They're fully submersible, according to Fluval. They had to put the line on there for Canadian regulations or something, from what I've read. I use mine submerged all the time. :)

huh! That is so strange! good to know :)

Do you have the same kind? Even the dial goes in?

I know it's really all the same but I do get skiddish about submersing it completely, just having the cord in there makes me :scared

Seems like they should be fully submersible. Creeps me out every time I stick it in there nonetheless. :rofl

1. gotta get my mind out of the gutter

2. me too! I don't like if it gets even a little splashy near it (although I'm a mess when it comes to where all my equipment is plugged in, I've really been wanting to fix that)

Same exact make and model. It's completely safe to submerge 100%. Safe enough that I use it in my QT tank, and I am a safety freak when it comes to my waterpuppies! Just make sure to follow the instructions to unplug it a bit before you drain water. It helps prolong the glass' life if the temperature of its surface doesn't change too quickly. :)

Phew! Okay I feel much better.

Thankyou for the advice :)

What is your water temp? This time of the year in NJ you shouldn't really need one. I use mine sometimes to take the chill off in the winter but that's it.

She's doing a fishless cycle . . . trying to keep the BBs happy as she can. :rofl

She's doing a fishless cycle . . . trying to keep the BBs happy as she can. :rofl

Heh yup! Thanks Lisa :)

D'oh. :rofl ignore me then! I'm obviously out of the loop :rofl

Lol! I still have mine plugged in, but I'm hoping to remove it, if the weather makes up its mind! :D

Is it still winter? :o

D'oh. :rofl ignore me then! I'm obviously out of the loop :rofl

Perhaps it was something I could have mentioned in the long list of things I forgot to mention on this post ;)

I have that heater.. mine slips in all the way down sometimes. never hurt it yet, but it shouldnt be all the way down :)