Super fast growers?

East Indian Hygrophila; you'll have to find out whether it is an invasive species in Michigan though. For the majority of Australia it is considered a noxious weed and therefore illegal. I believe parts of America also class it similarly.

Despite its status; however, I still find it quite pretty. I like its leaf shape, it is quite delicate and round.

If water lettuce is legal in your area, I would get some in july or august... or any floating plant because they grow fast with plenty of atmospheric CO2. In midsummer, ponds get overrun with floating plants. That's when pond plant owners will give away enough pond plants to completely coat the surface of your aquarium. They might charge 5 or 10 bucks but it's waaay worth the price. If you add a LOT at one time, it's enough for goldies to graze on continuously without completely dying off.

I got a 5 gallon bucket full of free water lettuce off Craigslist. (Other people were selling 10-15 rosettes for 5$!) My avatar is what my aquarium looked like 8 months ago and now the roots are only 1/10th the size! The water lettuce are still coating the surface and hanging in there.

Edited by soupmonster