Sign in to follow this  
Goldfish Girls

Media and Water changes .. 120 gal w Fluva 405 and FX5

037.jpg

OK so this is my tank ..... its 120 gal. I have a Fluva 405 and the Fluva FX5. The FX5 is only 1 week old ....

I do 50% water changes every week. I think I understand changing media in the 405 ... I plan on just changing 1 of the media with each water change keeping the bio stuff in good levels.

For the FX5 I figure its the same ... BUT there are only 3 media trays that hold a lot. So I was thinking rinsing all the media in it ... and changing out 1 every other change (to save some cash).

Does that sound like a good plan?

Why are you intending on changing the media so frequently?

There really is no need to do so. Things like filter floss and sponges, for example, can be kept until they are falling apart. When you perform filter maintenance you can simply rinse them off in some dechlorinated water or tank water - doing so will not harm your colony of beneficial bacteria.

I've had the same filter media in for almost a year. I wouldn't change it unless it's really falling apart. Just swish it out every two to four weeks--that's what I do. :)

Yep, absolutely no need to replace any of it, unless it falls apart. :) A good rinsing/swishing/squeezing/etc in a bucket of old tank water is all you need to do. Saves money and beneficial bacteria :)

Well I was changing the media more with my high fish count. I am on the edge of too many fish, so I want to make sure that stays clean. I am MORE then happy to change it less often! LOL .... I just read somewhere that they changed every water change something.

So do you clean the filter every week when you change the water or only clean out the filter and media every so often as well?

Leaving the "dirty" media in is actually what keeps your tank cleaner! :D Those bacteria eat the ammonia and nitrites. All you really have to do is squeeze out the sponges in tank water every few weeks to prevent excess buildup of bacteria slime and keep up with regular water changes. If you really want to make sure the water is pristine since you're overstocked, try doing 100% water changes every week, or perhaps two 60-75% changes each week.

Well with cleaning I meant the way they show you on the fluva DVD ... it says to rinse the media or get bits off it, but leaves the beneficial bacteria.

After having meds in the tank for a month, my tank is cycling again. (I also took out loads of rocks I had about a 3 inch layer on the bottom.) So bacteria is reforming itself right not.

Almost returned to normal ..... :)