Sign in to follow this  
pawsplus

Do goldfish like current? I have this fan. . .

With the 90 gal tank came a fan that goes down into the water to make current. The previous residents of the tank were cichlids.

Is this something that my common GF would like? Or should I just toss it?

You can always give it a try. I know some people have crazy fish that love swimming against the current.

Sent from my SCH-I535

My fish hate current. If you use the high turnover filters recommended for aquariums, you already have lots of current.

Individual fish differ in their preferences, but goldfish naturally live in lakes and ponds.

OK. I'll have 3 filters on the tank and aerators, so probably plenty--no reason to run even MORE electrical things. ;)

And it depends on the size of your fish also. You don't want to have a lot of high current if you have really small fish. They won't get much rest.

Mine are biggish. But it doesn't sound like it's really advisable.

you want a spot in the tank where the can rest :)

My guys always loved the current. :) I used to run a small pond pump on the tank, and they would swim above it, like a game. :) My fish always were a little crazy, though.

It is my understanding that common goldfish are direct decendents of East Asian carp, who are used to a current. My commons really like the current from my bubble wall, and can swim for hours up and down the wall. I also have a small powerhead from a water fountain. I'd say to try it at some specific level of your tank and see if they like it. A 90G tank is large so the current will dissipate fairly quickly and provide resting spots.

Commons and comets are pretty athletic fish and can swim quite fast.

I think that is true of koi. Koi love to swim into a current, and sometimes come to an end as a result of trying to jump into the waterfall of their pond, winding up on land. Goldfish do not do this. The goldfish is the domestic version of the gibel carp, which lives in ponds and lakes. In a river, feral goldfish are found in the backwaters, away from rapidly flowing water. https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/nonnativespecies/factsheet/downloadFactsheet.cfm?speciesId=655

Goldfish are very adaptable, and given a tank with a flow, they will adapt and some may even learn to like it. In a pond, where they have a choice, they prefer to hang out in the quiet spots. At least all of my fish do.

Huh. Well, maybe I'll give it a try! I'll put it up high so it's easy to avoid if they want to and see if it seems as if anyone is enjoying it or not. They ARE descended from river carp, and commons are as close to their wild cousins as GF get, so who knows?

The nearest relative of the goldfish is the Chinese gibel carp, Carassius auratus gibelio. The goldfish is Carassius auratus auratus. That third name is the subspecies. Like feral goldfish, the gibel carp lives in ponds, lakes, and slow moving rivers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_carp

Koi are common carp (Cyprinus carpio) in fancy dress. Many koi fanciers say the koi came from carp that lived in rivers. Possible, since common carp live in any body of fresh water. I can't find any species that can be identified as "river carp."

I just meant "carp who live in rivers" LOL. Did not mean to imply that their actual name was "river carp." :)

What type of filters do you have? When I kept goldies my filtration was in the form of a single canister so actual surface flow in particular was not great - I didn't use spraybars and actually had an empty small internal to agitate the surface. In a bigger tank it's not going to cause a jet stream that fish can't avoid unless it's a really powerful one. Even if you decide not to use the powerhead now keep a hold of it, if you change your three filters to one bigger one like a canister you may find a little extra flow helpful.

I have 2 HOBs on my 55 and will be moving them to the 90, which has an Eheim canister filter. So lots of filtration and lots of surface agitation.