Ammonia problem in QT

Hey, so i have my new calico ryukin Asha in his QT chilling out on medication for some fish lice (argulus) and whatever else. But the tank is a 10 gallon, and he is about 3 inches (body measured without tail) Perhaps it's too small?? Ammonia goes up to about .5 PPM so I change the water. Second day of it rising again to .5 PPM

So maybe I could get him into a 29 gallon? I'm not sure. I'd have to buy it but i wanna be sure first if this is something i can control for the 8 weeks i'd like to keep him in QT. Ashatankshot_zpsd525a098.jpg

I presume this is an uncycled tank? Do you have a cycled tank you could sneak some media from to help with your numbers?

And thank you for wearing pants in your picture :rofl

hahaha i just notice that~ thought i was takin one picture ended up takin two.

the media originally in this tank was totally cultured and reading zeros across the board---when it was handling my other goldfish who is 1 inch big.

i moved him (Blub) to a 55 gallon where i seeded that tank with the media originally in the 10 gallon tank

now i recently put the media back in the 10 gallon tank with Asha (3") and i think being in a 55 with a single small fish diminished the number of bacteria on it so it's now trying to handle too much...my theory.

can i use tablets to lower ammonia or is that also killing the bacteria?

• 2 months later...