Sign in to follow this  
goldfishy1122

good news! java fern plant babies

My java fern is making lots of babies!! I didnt expect this but saw little baby java ferns on tips of my java fernplant leaves and looked it up....

There are like 7 babies! To buy one of these costs like $15 ea so im gona save a lot harvesting my own haha!

Not having much luck trying to make the java moss spread across my driftwood tho

My banana plant has almost grown to reach water surface also which is cool mini lillypads, these are really cheap like $3 ea so will be getting more

Anyone got any plant stories?

I killed my banana lily, my java fern doesn't seem to grow, I accidentally ripped nearly all the roots off my $22 java fern when trying to attach it to some driftwood and my goldfish eats all my other plants :( Haha. I'm good at normal plants, but aquatic plants I just can't seem to get the hang of.

Good on you though :)

Pics!!!!

Woah, java fern is expensive there!

Go you gettign babies. c: My java fern just will not prosper for me unfortunately.

Woah, java fern is expensive there!

Go you gettign babies. c: My java fern just will not prosper for me unfortunately.

Everything is expensive in Australia, especially in Sydney :(

Edited by Andrea

congrats!!I love java fern but I have never had any luck with this plant :( what's your secret?and I second the request for pics ;)

Java fern does horrible in my tank. Never dies but always looks yucky. Couple my banana plants look great and a couple seem to barely do anything. lol I have pads all the way to the top with one. Same with the tiger lilies I have.

Goldfishy and Andrea, if you're looking for plants, Aquagreen is a good place online to get plants - they have rather reasonable prices. They deal predominantly with Australian native plants, but also stock a wide variety of other plants, fertilisers and Australian native fish.

http://aquagreen.com.au/catalog.html

Edited by dan in aus

Ahhh ! Sorry with the late reply lol.

I already plucked them off, and got them in a plastic cup at the moment.

Ever since I started using Seachem Flourish all my aquatic plants are really green and growing like crazy. I was using aquaone plant food before but didnt notice much.

Really recommend Seachem Flourish tho, its really good

Seachem has diff types of plant food, Im using this one

20130428_234946_zpsd3860c96.jpg

20130428_232353_zps0c41a74e.jpg

20130428_232336_zpsa07141f3.jpg

20130428_232332_zps0e738647.jpg

Here is a pic of the baby java ferns & mummy fern atm, when the mum plant makes more babies ill take a pic haha. Ill have to see how the babies grow, hopefully big soon. Im worried the filter in tank will suck them up so looking at setting some sort of netting up so they can stay in main tank

20130429_000017_zps751e0bdb.jpgHeheh thanks for everyones comments/ replies

I might get told off for shipwreck decor! Im gona do a makeover tho, finally decided get some substrate & plant the plants & take the shipwrecks decor out

Yer stuff in Aus is expensive compared to other places, but our wages are diff so in the end it works out I spose, but I seriously wana stock up on fishy stuff in china or something & bring over

I had a banana plant die before too, like its roots got rotten and it stank when took it out. Don't know why this one doing better

Maybe something to do with the temperature

Anubias is easy imo. Mine infortunately doesmt have any flowers atm!

Banana plants roots get pretty crazy

Your plants look great!

I love java fern babies! It's nice to get a near infinite number for free. I like to superglue them to rocks together. It looks really cool once they get big enough.

I really like my banana plants but none of them are doing very well. The leaves are turning transparent, rotting away and getting a bunch of brown spots. I don't know what's wrong with them, all my other plants are doing well. :mad:

Ooh! Very pretty! :)

They look great! :) You might find the java fern doesn't particularly need the flourish (it will benefit from it either way), but it is a pretty hardy plant.

Yer stuff in Aus is expensive compared to other places, but our wages are diff so in the end it works out I spose, but I seriously wana stock up on fishy stuff in china or something & bring over

While this may be true in theory, in practice it doesn't really work out as nicely. Our cost of living is also higher, thus despite having higher wages/salaries, we still end up spending far more money than our counterparts in North America - granted we do have a higher standard of living because of it.

Looks nice! I'm getting all sorts of java fern babies too, but I keep losing them to gravel vacuum / water change time. Maybe I need to grow them separately in cups like you! I'm already doing that with my newly acquired azolla fairy moss and duckweed in little dollar store "fishbowls."

Haha I put the babies back in the tank but dont really know what happened to them :/ need to figure out a plant nursery for the babies bcoz my other plants are making babies too, like they getting tall and roots forming in middle so could cut to make 2 plants

I think if keep in cup need to change water a lot & add plant food, I dont think the babies grew when in cup & cant really control temperature, but they did stay alive in cup

Here are some updated pics of how my tank is looking currently (jus taken now). I made an order for black sand & 20 or so plants online , should be arriving within week or so, can't wait!

My anubias made babies, I bought them as 1 plant on driftwood but they became 2 plants. Two of the driftwood pieces got outgrown so I gently took them off them and now training them to grow on my big driftwood piece, I jus put them against a groove part of the wood & tie a fishing line between their branches and around the wood to hold in place. Hopefully they will spread over the wood!

My java moss was bought as a bunch & stuffed into a nook then tied over with fishing line with many loops so it wont float off, today I cut the fishing line off and its now on the wood by itself. (Had them tied for like a month)

IMG_20130524_195645_zpsa7c581d7.jpg

IMG_20130525_000720_zps2b66cf6e.jpg

Oh and the banana plant has reached surface now! It also has lots of stringy roots & thick white roots in addition to the bannana roots & green medium thick long roots.

The java fern has also a couple babies on tip off leaves too.

:P

Edited by goldfishy1122

Everything looks really healthy and vibrant. :D