Do goldfish "fight" each other?

So I just looked at my fish tank to find my bigger goldfish chasing my smaller one around the tank and pushing it into the corner. Do goldfish fight each other? Or are they trying to breed? I'm not sure of the gender of my fish, I think the bigger one might be a male because there's those little white spots on its gills. I've noticed the smaller one's tail fin is all torn and I assumed that it was my plastic plants that were doing it (I replaced them with silk ones) but now I'm wondering if the bigger fish has be chewing on him.

Normally, goldfish are social fish and are friendly fish. They will start fighting if the tank is too small though. I think Alex had a fish that was kept alone for a very long time, and every tankmate that fish got was killed.

Normally, goldfish are social fish and are friendly fish. They will start fighting if the tank is too small though. I think Alex had a fish that was kept alone for a very long time, and every tankmate that fish got was killed.

Yowch! I didn't hear about that :o

I hope that they do better together... Or have lots of eggs lol! Good luck either way friend!

They stopped doing it so I can't get a video. This is the only time I've ever seen them do this so I don't really think its fighting. I did notice though that the bigger one was pushing at the vent area on the smaller one, so maybe it is a breeding thing. I don't think its a space issue because they are only about 3 inches and 2.5 inches long each in a 20 gallon tank. I'm in the middle of treating them for ich (the spots just disappeared yesterday) so maybe they're just energetic now that there isn't a parasite attached to them XP. i hope they don't lay eggs or anything because I don't really have the setup for that :/

I did have a fantail who lived for 13+ years in her own tank, because anything else that we added would be killed within a few days. :o

That was the only antisocial goldfish I had though. The rest all get along quite well with each other. :rofl

I had a fear like this twice with my fish, the first time was when I introduced a male that I had chosen specifically for his douchebag behavior (he was trying to attack the current coming out the filter in the store) and when introduced to my tank started chasing the female AND male. He stopped that in a few hours. Another time my female, who is the largest, started chasing/nipping at the other males in the tank for a little while, but stopped after a few hours. All mine get along fine now :)