How big a tank should I get?

Congrats!!! :D

If your smaller tank is cycled, you can put that filter on the bigger tank and move the fish over now for an "instant cycle." You still have to watch your parameters, though. Beneficial bacteria live on surfaces, so the water might not do much to boost the cycle. Another thing you can do is move over your gravel or any plants or ornaments that would carry BBs into the new tank. :)

I hope your fish are happy with their new home and get nice and big for you! :clapping:

Looks great! Congrats to Fin and Ginger. :) Yeah, be sure to move your old filter over to the new tank--that's where the beneficial bacteria are, not in the water itself. You'll need at least one more filter to get to 750 gph filtration rate. So just keep an eye on your parameters for a few weeks to make sure there's no cycle bump. Can't wait to see the fish in there!

Thanks for the tips on getting the new tank cycled faster. The little tank is cycled and I was wondering if there was a way to use the old tank to help cycle the new tank. I'll move over the filter from the old tank as well as the gravel tonight and they can start enjoying their new home much soon than I was expecting.

The filter on the new tank is rated at 400 gph , so if I get another one just like it on the other side I'll have 800 gph of filtration which should get the job done I would think.

I'll have to post a picture of them swimming around in the new tank tonight :fishtank

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing you can do it put any media from your smaller filter into your new bigger filter to seed it. :)

I'm thinking I'll hand the old filer on the new tank and have both filters running at the same time. I do wonder if it would get the new and much larger filter seeded faster if I moved over the sponge pre filter from the old filter into the new filter basket. I could run both filters that way and get the new filter seeded.

I do not wish to stir up the debate again but would like to add something. Single tails, such as the koi I have been raising in a tank for 4 years, are agile swimmers. As single tails start to mature they will be very fast. In my tank, on occasion, one fish will pick at another and cause it to dart away. I have seen them run smack in to the tank wall and the filter tube. This is happening a lot lately so I have come to the opinion that fish of that body type with large growth potential do not belong in a tank. My three little buddies are moving to a friends pond this weekend.

This is just my humble opinion and is not meant to be dismissive of anyone else's.

Regards

Sonny

Yeah--koi and single-tailed goldfish are COMPLETELY different matters. My common GF don't dart around or crash into the tank sides. They are very happy in their 90 gal (and were very happy in their 55 until I traded up in May). Koi, however, can really be no place but large ponds.

I do not wish to stir up the debate again but would like to add something. Single tails, such as the koi I have been raising in a tank for 4 years, are agile swimmers. As single tails start to mature they will be very fast. In my tank, on occasion, one fish will pick at another and cause it to dart away. I have seen them run smack in to the tank wall and the filter tube. This is happening a lot lately so I have come to the opinion that fish of that body type with large growth potential do not belong in a tank. My three little buddies are moving to a friends pond this weekend.

This is just my humble opinion and is not meant to be dismissive of anyone else's.

Regards

Sonny

Sonny,

Please take some time to read up on Koi and their proper care, as well as the difference between Koi and goldfish. You'll find the reason why your fish are behaving outside of the norm and why it is perfectly okay to house singletail goldfish in an aquarium but not Koi.

Kind regards and good luck,

Chelsea

Yes I realize that they are not big enough for 4 years. My wife had bought them from a big chain pet store. She didnt realize what she was getting in to. I figured if we kept them for a while it wouldnt hurt but she became attached to them. I take care of them the best I can. They get two good size water changes every week and sometimes 100 percent. My water parameters are always perfect as my system is well matured. I have just recently been able to convince my wife that it is time for them to go to a pond. A friend in work has a good sized pond and a few koi. He is going to take them this weekend. So they are going to a good home and I am going to get two fancies for the wife to keep her happy.

I know I should have brought them right back to the pet store, but that would have broken her heart. Happy wife.....happy life. LOL

Well.....The Koi were relocated to my friends pond on Saturday. They took to it quite well. They were acclimated using a drip line and took to the pond nicely. I was told this morning by my coworker (this is his yard pond) that they started feeding Sunday and did quite well with his 3 existing koi.

Well.....The Koi were relocated to my friends pond on Saturday. They took to it quite well. They were acclimated using a drip line and took to the pond nicely. I was told this morning by my coworker (this is his yard pond) that they started feeding Sunday and did quite well with his 3 existing koi.

Yay! Glad to hear it! :-) They'll be very happy now.