New betta with swollen abdomen

Andrea

Seems like I'm only introducing my new fish on here whenever there is a problem :(

I recently brought a new betta, after losing Klaus the other week when he decided to jump out of his tank at night. I have the tank all sealed now and brought Albus on Thursday. I've just noticed today under his head/gills is a bit swollen. I'm not sure if is anything to worry about, but I am admittedly worried :(

• * Ammonia Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank): 10
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap): 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap): 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.6
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Brand of test kit (drops or strips): API Liquid test drops
  • * Filter name and size (GPH/LPH): Hailea internal filter, it does 60lph, but I have the outake tube facing towards the glass, so there is little water flow
  • * Additives and conditioners: Prime and I was adding Stability to keep my cycle going whilst there was no fish in there (for about a week)
  • * Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify): 24-26 degrees
  • * Last water change date: Last Thursday
  • * Tank size (Gallons or litres): 20 litres
  • * Fish in the tank (species and number): 1 betta and 1 pond snail

• * Any new fish added into the tank: Albus is new, brought his last Friday, but the only fish in there
  • -If Yes: Were they quarantined? No
  • -If Yes: Quarantine period and process (meds added): No
  • * List prior health issues in tank: He has a bit of fin rot, but was like that in the shop
  • * Medications previously added to the tank: None for Albus
  • * Medications on hand: Aquarium salt

Affected fish information:

• * Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding: I feed him about 2-3 pellets per day, yesterday I didn't feed him, today I feed him about 4 bloodworms and that is when I noticed the swelling
  • * Any unusual behaviour such as nipping, bottom sitting, etc: He seems fine, swims very quickly and randomly at times
  • * Any unusual findings on fish and in tank: Swollen abdomen
  • * Affected fish in quarantine or in main tank: Main tank
  • * Current medications being used on affected fish: Nothing
  • * Previous medications used to treat affected fish: Nothing
  • * If any, list previous health issues and treatment protocols taken: None
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

The first two photos are from the first day I got him, while the last two are from just now with the definite swollen belly.

DSC00859_zps744e3a32.jpg

DSC00862_zps1e6268ea.jpg

DSC00870_zps16438a14.jpg

DSC00873_zps018249a7.jpg

I really really hope this isn't dropsy :( I wasn't even going to get another betta and I'll be devastated if I lose another one. I really hope he'll be ok. Please help. There is no pine coning that I can see, but is all underneath so it's hard to see.

I haven't seen my pond snail for a few days now, is it crazy to think he could have eaten him? If he bit him we is probably small enough to be eaten in a few bites, but probably not.

Anyway this is Albus everyone, my new betta, my new stress in life haha.

Edited by Andrea

Also I haven't seen him poo, but for the 3 months I had Klaus I also never saw him poo so I don't know what it even looks like or where it comes from on a betta!

I really don't think this is an underlying issue :) Most likely is that the four bloodworms have expanded a little inside after feeding, which happens to mine as well. Frozen worms will still absorb moisture in the water.

You can raise the temp up to 28C for a while to speed up metabolism, or just keep it at 26C and let him digest it normally

It's hard to catch a betta pooping, unless it's a bare-bottom tank

Edited by Narny105

Whew! I did notice it straight after the feeding, I mean within seconds. But maybe it's the pellets or the smallest possibility my pond snail, Bob :blink:

I have the heater on 26 degrees but because of the minimal water flow, I notice that sometimes parts of the water only get up to about 24. Would you recommend to turn the heater up a bit to combat this?

Thanks Narny. You're a life/stress saver haha, now I can just go back to enjoying Albus :) But I'll keep an eye on this too.

It's no worry if you cant :) a little cold spot won't do any harm, and you might find he spends more time on one side of the tank than the other- it's a good indication of what temperature he prefers!

He's very pretty! Congratulations on the new betta. :)

Sorry, this is a little off topic, but did you name Albus after Dumbledore? :):rofl

I did :) The blue reminded me of Dumbledore's distinct eyes so it seemed only suiting.