Will my existing cycled filters be enough?

So I will soon be moving my 2 GF and 1 BN pleco from a 55 to a 90 gal tank. The 55 has 2 HOB filters--an Emperor 400 and a Penguin 350, both w/ biowheels.

On the new tank I plan to run both of those PLUS the Eheim 2217 canister filter I got w/ the 90 gal tank.

Once I get the new tank and filter up and running, can I just move the 2 HOBs over and put the fish in? Will the HOBs be able to transfer their "cycledness" to the larger tank?

I.e., I don't need to fishlessly cycle the new tank/new filter first, right?

Thanks!

yes, that's right. by popping your existing cycled filters onto your new tank, you will simply be moving your beneficial bacteria colonies from one to the other. you may notice a slight cycle bump if you don't also transfer the substrate (if any) but that should right itself soon - you would just have to keep a close eye on the parameters.

I removed my gravel so no substrate (although I'm considering adding gravel to the new tank b/c I'm distressed by how much crap is in the water since I removed the gravel, despite more-frequent-than-usual water changes due to salt/prazi treatment)!

I was just worried that the 2 HOBs wouldn't be able to get a tank that big cycled right away, but that isn't a problem? :)

the cycle doesn't adjust to the size of the tank but rather to the bioload produced by the fish. so your current bacteria should be able to process your 2 commons and your bristlenose's waste, and will still be able to in the new tank. if you are not adding new fish with the move then it should be fine.

Thank you so much for posting this question; its funny because I'm transferring mine to a bigger tank this week and was worried about the same thing! Phew! Good to know I don't have to wait for a cycle adjustment.

Yay! No, not adding another fish until late in the summer. :) These 3 will be nicely understocked and overfiltered during my 2 week trip to Ireland! My pet sitter will be doing testing after 1 week and reporting results to me, and I'll have him underfeed them. :)

I have two hob's and two very large sponge filters in my 75 gal. I took one of my sponge filters from that tank and put it in a 40 gal quarantine tank with four pretty large fish. I had a small cycle bump that lasted about 24 hours and that was it. So, it works.