Betta update!

sweetpea92

I am really happy with my betta tank at the moment. Added the heater now that winter has come. I have added a lot more plants since I last updated. It is addictive...

screenshot20130421at849.png

screenshot20130421at850.png

screenshot20130421at851.png

Pretty random combo of plants, vals, anubias, java fern, wisteria, elodea, amazon sword (it's starting to get too big) and a crypt.

Very nice, I bet he is one happy guy! I would love to plant my betta tank that much, but don't have any luck with plants. Do you siphon that tank with all those plants? If so, do you find it hard?

Very nice, I bet he is one happy guy! I would love to plant my betta tank that much, but don't have any luck with plants. Do you siphon that tank with all those plants? If so, do you find it hard?

Thanks! You should go for it :)!! I'm finding the plants surprisingly easy, I just use a lamp from ikea with a 24 watt bulb, I think the general rule for plants is 3 watts per gallon? (Some one correct me if I'm wrong.) I did make a tiny siphon from a plastic tube and some airline tube, which made it easy to get in between the plants. I haven't really bothered siphoning recently, because I find I'm not really picking much up.

Thanks! You should go for it :)!! I'm finding the plants surprisingly easy, I just use a lamp from ikea with a 24 watt bulb, I think the general rule for plants is 3 watts per gallon? (Some one correct me if I'm wrong.) I did make a tiny siphon from a plastic tube and some airline tube, which made it easy to get in between the plants. I haven't really bothered siphoning recently, because I find I'm not really picking much up.

That's because in a nicely planted tank like yours you do not really need to siphon, as the waste will be processed and consumed by the plant roots (in a nut shell).

The lamp is a great idea, that is what I do for some of my smaller setups as well. Much cheaper than a tank light fixture, and if you go with a CFL bulb you can provide a lot of light at minimal cost. An 8 watt CFL equals a 30 watt standard bulb. :)

That's because in a nicely planted tank like yours you do not really need to siphon, as the waste will be processed and consumed by the plant roots (in a nut shell).

The lamp is a great idea, that is what I do for some of my smaller setups as well. Much cheaper than a tank light fixture, and if you go with a CFL bulb you can provide a lot of light at minimal cost. An 8 watt CFL equals a 30 watt standard bulb. :)

Good to know about the bulb thanks! I didn't know that about the fluros I might go for one of those next time.

I brought a clip on aquarium light so hopefully I'll have more luck now. But was having to do siphons because of all the dead plant muck haha. I'd love mine to look like yours :)