• * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.0
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drop test kit
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? aquaclear 50 and 20
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API stress coat
  • * Water temperature? 68 F
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 40-60% twice a week

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 65% today
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gals and has been running for 3 months
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? two fish 3 inches long
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? omega one twice a day and peas 3 times a week
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? prazi
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? black spots on wen and fins
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. have been on prazi and 0.1% salt for 20 days
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

About a week ago one of my fish started developing a couple small black spots on her wen. They have been getting bigger and now has some small black patches on her fins. My fish are currently on day 20 of prazi and salt.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/mang0peach/media/DSC02856_zps8d1f97c5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/mang0peach/media/DSC02854_zpsd982e64f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

you can see it on her fins in this picture http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/mang0peach/media/DSC02853_zpsd37d14a4.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/mang0peach/media/DSC02848_zpsf1c179d1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

• Supporter

hello asha, thank you for answering all the questions and providing images.

for your oranda, i am suspecting ammonia burns which are healing. toxic burns often show black when they heal :)

since you say that the tank has been set up for 3 months, were you cycling it whilst the fish was in there? if so, this could very well be the reason for the black spots. overall, the fish is looking pretty good :)

the only way to get rid of these spots from your fish, if it is ammonia burns healing, is to do as you have been doing, nice frequent water changes. keep up the good work :)

you may need to be looking at an upgrade within the next 4-6 months as the fish will outgrow their 29 gallon tank.. we would prefer minimum 40 gallons for two fancy fish :)

• Supporter

one more thing i noticed. PH from tap is 6 and in the tank it's 7.5, tank PH is good, tap PH is not. my concern is that when you do your water changes, because of the large drop in PH coming from your tap, this might cause a substantial drop in the tank's PH. this could lead to a PH crash which can be very harmful to your fish. could you look at buying a PH buffer? so that you can treat the water prior or whilst being added to the tank?

if you're using buckets, you can add the buffer to the water, alternatively you may want to age water overnight with a bubbler, this can raise the PH naturally, or if you're using a water changer, you can add the buffer as you fill.

I had the tank cycled before I got the fish and I haven't seen any ammonia on my tests since I got the fish. My other fish doesn't have any spots on him.

Also, I use baking soda to raise the ph before I add the water to the tank. And I'm currently looking for a 40 gallon tank. :)