Sign in to follow this  
scrappinjaime

Need advice on HOB vs Canister Filter

I currently have a API Filstar size Lg and a trickle filter. The issue is I HATE my canister filter. Everytime I open it up to clean the filters I have to take the rings out and put them back in so it doesn't leak. Well today I did this routine but it took me over 30 minutes to get it to where it wouldn't leak. I did the exact same thing I always do.

So my question is, Is the extra power I get from the canister worth the headache or should I give up and get a nice HOB?

Opinions and advice appreciated, Jaime

I am in a similar place. I have an internal and a HOB but I keep feeling that I should have a big girl canister. On the other hand, I wrote the book on under stocking and over cleaning. I really feel that I will just get a bigger HOB and take the internal out.

How big is your tank?

It's a 90 gal tank. The wet/dry trickle is built in and has a 3500 pump that does 730 gph aqueon submersible pump. This canister is a pain in the butt.

I had a canister on my 90 and it was one of the main reasons I downgraded. Frustrating beast. :rofl

I think with your wet/dry and a nice big AquaClear or Emperor you'd be ok without the canister. :D

I love my ac 110s!! nice big hob's, and very easy to clean.

:hi Jaime, what brand of canister are you using currently? I'm just being nosey. I love both of mine, they don't cause me any frustration. (Touch wood :rolleyes: )

I run 2 Aquaclear 110s on my 90 & I REALLY love them (I also have one on my 29!) They are easy to maintain & do a terrific job!!

I have a Fluval stored (just in case I ever need it. But it was always a Pain in the butt to start up!!)

Edited by Jeana727

The canister is a API Filstar SIze large. I just thought of something. If I want to add a HOB I think my tank might be too close to the wall. Hmmm If/when I switch I guess when I do my water change I could maybe move out from the wall a bit then. I always drain it to just above the biggest fish. My hubby will hate me but oh well. :)

I use a Eheim Classic. Once a month I turn it off, twist some valves, pop off the top, drain the water out and then hook it back up. The siphon is maintained and it fills back up. 5 Minutes tops unless it's the 6 month mark, then I break it down and clean it. Tithra has a great video on this in her youtube.

My Aquaclear is just as easy but it's louder, holds way way less media and doesn't look as cool.