• * Nitrate level (Tank) <10
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): .25
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Eheim canister 2236, Aqua Clear 70
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature? 68*-70*
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 80% every 3-4 days

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Right now, 80%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 gallons, 9 months
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish, 5 inches
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Saki Hikari, blood worms, Super green, veggies
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Just the butterfly
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) nothing
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Eyeball looking unusual to me
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi and salt during quarantine, 5 rounds
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Hey guys, so my butterfly's eyeball is looking kinda strange to me. When i first got him, his pupil was black. Recently the pupil is looking larger and gray. Am I just being paranoid or is this unusual to you guys?

Here's a pic of his eye when i first got him.

007_zpsf87aa1eb.jpg

and here's a pic of it today:

004_zpsbba8f914.jpg

Thank you! We'll see what the mods have to say. I'm always stressing out over this guys eyes :krazy:

Edited by sarajo

I should also add I clean my canister once a month and my hob every 2 weeks by swishing the media in tank water, in case waste build up would contribute to a cloudy eye.

Just keep a watch on it, but I don't think anything should be done in terms of treatment, other than perhaps extra WCs.

I'd like to see if he can resolve it himself, and I am not really thinking it's an infection.

That reminds me of cataracts, doesn't it?

Blacky Fishie's eyes both turned like that over time, and it never went away. It didn't cause her a lot of problems, she could still see as far as I could tell, after all she got excited about food when I approached the tank.

I wonder if telescopes are more prone to developing "trauma"-caused cataracts; after all their eyes do constantly bump into things - especially during feeding where it is not unusual that the fish's eyes get banged into the bottom of side of the tank, as well as ornaments or fellow fish when they chase for the food.

Even on other occasions, I see it with Kupo who seems to not be aware of the fact that each of his big eyes is about the size of his face, and he constantly bumps them into the plants, walls and even the bubble wand.

I agree, Fang. :)

Thanks guys. I figured I was just worrying as usual, but I will keep an eye on it and hope it goes back to normal! :)