How high can betas jump?

Goldyfeesh

I have an unused 10 gallon aquarium that I would like to keep a beta in, I know they're jumpers, but I was wondering if a lid would still be necessary if I only kept the tank half full? I don't plan on adding a filter, just heavily planting it.

• Admin

Generally fish dont jump unless there is something in the water that is buggen them. But you should always have a lid, this keeps dust and other things out of there water.. :o

With bettas I recommend a filter. This one is cheap and works very well. http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A896-Elite-Sponge-Filter/dp/B005JP9S7C/ref=sr_1_13?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1366472656&sr=1-13&keywords=sponge+filter

You will need a air pump for it so I use this one which woks great and it is cheap http://www.thatpetplace.com/fusion-air-pump-200?sc=10&category=1691

And yes your betta can still jump out, and that's only giving him 5 gallons of space

The cardboard case in that picture is a little out dated but the filter did not change.

Edit: broken link

Edited by Moucho+Moncho

Yes! I would! I had my betta for months, nothing wrong with the water (as far as I could see/test), there was only a tiny gap in between the lid and the tank and I woke up to him very dead on the floor.

I wouldn't risk it. There is nothing wrong with having a lid and as you said they are jumpers. The last thing you want to do is experience what I did :(

I've had some jump for no reason as well in terms of water quality, but it might be as simple as a little bug on the rim of the tank causing them to want to jump, or whether they are overstimulated or stressed. I would either have the water level low enough from the top of the tank, or have a lid in place. Better to be safe than sorry :)