Sign in to follow this  
LauraThe3xplora

Best choice for "rock" installment material?

I just got a 60gal that is long (instead of squarish) and I want one big "rock" or "driftwood" thing for the middle. But all the pet stores sell is that painted resin stuff that always chips for me. What does everyone else use that's safe and cost-effective?

I wanted driftwood, but I couldn't find one signature piece that I really liked. I drove an hour away, to a store that I knew had a good stock of aquarium driftwood pieces. I sat on the floor and played around with all of them until I found three pieces that actually hooked together in a way, forming a kind of cool driftwood sculpture like I had in mind.

Edited by kaylaj2355

You could consider making the trip to Preuss Pets in Lansing. :)

Ooh, more Michiganders! I want to go to Preuss soon. I tend to only go as far as Blue Fish Aquarium in Grand Rapids for fish stuff. Preuss looks AWESOME!

Ok so real driftwood is a good choice? Does it have to be special? I know a place nearer to me that might have that.

I quite liked mine! My fish liked to nibble on it, too, and my snails loved it. Make sure to look up a thread on here, though, about boiling or soaking it before putting it in the tank. It can affect pH and it can slightly discolor the water. It's easily solved, though :) I just put mine in my bucket and changed out the water every day until it stayed clear. Then added it to the tank!

Thank you! I will definitely look into that then :)

To add to what the others have said, if this is for a goldfish tank, you'll want to ensure there are no sharp or pointy edges clumsy fish can swim into. Also, you'll want to ensure that there are no possible choke points a fish may get trapped in. ;)

Yes, thank you! I'm very careful about that because one of my fish is a black moor. I want to try and keep things roomy and open but still protective and interesting