Snail U-Turns!

Jeana727

I have recently added some Mystery Snails to my big tank. I have noticed that the two smaller ones seem to go up the side of the tank to the surface & make little U-Turns (remember this takes a several minutes for a snail to accomplish) in the moisture along the top part of the tank above the surface. Is this normal?

Snails ARE weird xD I have one that is constantly on the shell of another. Not always the same one. Just hitching a ride!

Somehow they are comical! One of them was "crawling" up the back wall of the tank...there is a bubble wall across the whole back...his antenna where flapping in the bubbles..for some reason it struck me funny. Like he was Zooming (in Slow Motion) to get out of the crazy bubbles....it took quite awhile!!

And another "dangled" off of the Anubias leaf for what seemed like an hour!! I guess he had his "tank" full of air & just decided to hang around!!

I had forgotten they were amusing!

Edited by Jeana727

MOST of my tank is covered....a bit to the back where the filters are.......Hope they don't figure out how to get outta there!! :yikes

LOL- yeah, they'll do that. Wait til they start base jumping off of plants, and surfing the bubbles from air stones. Never a dull moment. :D

The first time I ever saw my snail surf the bubbles, I cracked up so bad. Luckily that was in the middle of filming the tank and I still got that video :rofl

That snail was climbing onto the bubble wall, let go, and the rising bubbles made the snail take off like a rocket, straight up, and then slowly sailed back down. I think I posted that video on here years ago.

Most of the aquatic snails we keep in our tanks breathe air, so they have to come up to the surface. They also like climbing over the wet area above the water surface since that area holds a lot of goodies on the tank wall. Particles that are lighter than the water (like protein residues from food, little scraps of plant matter etc) collect up there in a film, providing a buffet for the snails :)

Somehow they are comical! One of them was "crawling" up the back wall of the tank...there is a bubble wall across the whole back...his antenna where flapping in the bubbles..for some reason it struck me funny. Like he was Zooming (in Slow Motion) to get out of the crazy bubbles....it took quite awhile!!

And another "dangled" off of the Anubias leaf for what seemed like an hour!! I guess he had his "tank" full of air & just decided to hang around!!

I recently found a ramshorn snail in my plant tank. He's a really cute blue spotted fella :D. Well, today when I went to drop a piece of food in the tank for him, I found him hanging off of a piece of duckweed!! He was totally upside down using the duckweed as a walkway :o. I wish I had a video...

I recently found a ramshorn snail in my plant tank. He's a really cute blue spotted fella :D. Well, today when I went to drop a piece of food in the tank for him, I found him hanging off of a piece of duckweed!! He was totally upside down using the duckweed as a walkway :o. I wish I had a video...

Smaller aquatic snails can actually use the surface tension of water to "walk" upside down on the bottom side of the water surface. It is really neat to watch! Even mystery snails are able to do this when they are still babies and light enough. Just yesterday I was playing around with one of my pond snails that went for a walk on the underside of the water surface. :)

Aquatic snails are much more entertaining and beneficial than most people think :)

Oh Good! I thought I was nuts by getting cracked up over my snails!!!!

And thanks for the info Fang! I was a little worried about them climbing above the water.....but as I am watching one of them up there right now I see that it IS pigging out!! Good to know! I thought they were contemplaiting an escape!!

And thanks for the info Fang! I was a little worried about them climbing above the water.....but as I am watching one of them up there right now I see that it IS pigging out!! Good to know! I thought they were contemplaiting an escape!!

I'm not sure about your snail, but I read that my little ramshorn snail actually is an oxygen breather :). They pop up above the surface, store an air bubble under their shell, and go back under :D. Perhaps yours are the same way?

Smaller aquatic snails can actually use the surface tension of water to "walk" upside down on the bottom side of the water surface. It is really neat to watch! Even mystery snails are able to do this when they are still babies and light enough. Just yesterday I was playing around with one of my pond snails that went for a walk on the underside of the water surface. :)

Aquatic snails are much more entertaining and beneficial than most people think :)

Man, they are tooooo cool! I'm happy to have them... As long as they don't have babies. And more babies... and- well you get the point lol

I'm not sure about your snail, but I read that my little ramshorn snail actually is an oxygen breather :). They pop up above the surface, store an air bubble under their shell, and go back under :D. Perhaps yours are the same way?

EDIT: :rofl3 I totally forgot that Fang said the same thing! My bad!

Man, they are tooooo cool! I'm happy to have them... As long as they don't have babies. And more babies... and- well you get the point lol

Those snails usually do not "just" go escape a tank. That is a very rare case, usually they have good reason to leave. Either the water quality is not up to their standard (which does not necessarily mean that the water is dirty, but snails need harder water in order to keep their shells from disintegrating), or they feel threatened by a tank mate (sometimes an individual fish may be too fascinated by the snail and keeps harassing it, and I've had this happen with my ADFs trying to tear the snail's antennas off).

Or it's an accident when the female is looking for a spot to deposit their eggs, when it is a mystery snail. They lay their eggs above the water surface to keep the eggs safe from aquatic predators. My snails used to lay their egg clutches on the underside of the tank lid - that means they climbed up all the way on the side glass, and out of the water onto the underside of the tank lid.

When looking for a good spot for the eggs, it can happen that a snail gets all the way out of the water and then may fall from the side of the tank.

The good thing here is though that a mystery snail can survive for days outside the water. They keep a small amount of water in their shells which will keep them moist, and they close their door up all the way. So if you ever find one of your snails outside the tank, do not assume it being dead. Place it in a small dish with water and it will most likely be still alive :)

Thanks for all the info. I am enjoying watching them.

I saw some Blue Ramshorns & am gonna see about getting some of those! They are SO pretty!!! I have a couple of bids on ebay....gotta wait to see if they pan out!)

Edited by Jeana727