Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfishmylife

Has anybody here trained their fish?

No, but several have been pretty good at training ME over the years!!!! :rofl

Yep. Mine are trained to eat from my hands, keep to the side of the tank opposite of where I am siphoning, and recognize their names. They also know what 'no' and 'get out of there' mean...

As a child, I needed a pet training badge for Scouts.

I only had a guppy, so I was able to take a few pics of it going through a rubber band like it was swimming through a hoop.

The Scout leader looked at each other, smiled at me and handed over the badge.

...does that count?

Yep. Mine are trained to eat from my hands, keep to the side of the tank opposite of where I am siphoning, and recognize their names. They also know what 'no' and 'get out of there' mean...

How do you know they recognize their names? Thats pretty cool!

As a child, I needed a pet training badge for Scouts.

I only had a guppy, so I was able to take a few pics of it going through a rubber band like it was swimming through a hoop.

The Scout leader looked at each other, smiled at me and handed over the badge.

...does that count?

lol thats cute

Because each fish will come when its name is called, not just when I say any random words.

Thanks Koko (:

yup :)

Because each fish will come when its name is called, not just when I say any random words.

can they? Animals respond to the sound, and fish respond probably to sight via routine of knowing they may get fed- they 'hear' via vibrations in the water :)

I really like how you got your fish to stay away from the siphon. Something we all should do!

I wouldn't say mine are trained, but their used to being handled weekly and being hand fed on occasions- they're not that afraid of my hand :)

Edited by Narny105

At last! someone else who teaches their fish their names. I did this when I started feeding peas to my first pond fish when they were just babies. They varied a lot in size, so I made them take the peas from my hand so everyone was fed. I'd call a name and put the pea in front of the named fish's mouth. Within a week, some of the fish would come to my hand with their mouths open when they heard their name (some smacking loudly). Some were wilder, and wouldn't come at all. When such a fish would grab a pea, I would say its name. It was easy to tell these shy fish learned their names. They would become highly agitated when I called them; would try to approach my hand, then lose their nerve and dive for the bottom. Marcin Goldfish couldn't get himself to take food from my hand for a full year. Now he takes food from my hand with great confidence, but unlike some of the fish who hang around close while the other fish are fed, he doesn't come near me until I call him.

Wildeye has never been fearful, but she waits quietly until I call her. Some of the fish like to take food from my hand so much that if I throw food in the pond, they would just stay watching me, waiting for me to feed them. So I taught a new command: "Find it!" I say this when I toss food in the pool. Within a few days, all of the fish would look for food on the pond surface when I said this.

When I add a new fish to a pond in which the fish all hand feed when their names are called, the new fish picks it up really quickly. Goldfish pay great attention to how other goldfish get food. Learning really accelerates when they are learning from their pondmates as well as me. Learning their name in 2 days is not unusual.

It's not hard to tell that a fish recognizes its name when it's swimming away, you call it, and it makes a u-turn and sticks its mouth out of the water.

can they? Animals respond to the sound, and fish respond probably to sight via routine of knowing they may get fed- they 'hear' via vibrations in the water :)

I really like how you got your fish to stay away from the siphon. Something we all should do!

I wouldn't say mine are trained, but their used to being handled weekly and being hand fed on occasions- they're not that afraid of my hand :)

Yeah. :) I think they can hear the 'pitch' of the vibrations in the water, translating it as specific sounds. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between my voice when I am across the room talking to them and the vibrations of the filter motors. They're great at picking up their names and the word 'hungry' when I am talking. :rofl

Yeah. :) I think they can hear the 'pitch' of the vibrations in the water, translating it as specific sounds. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between my voice when I am across the room talking to them and the vibrations of the filter motors. They're great at picking up their names and the word 'hungry' when I am talking. :rofl

I find it hilarious when they gulp at the surface. I'm sure I can sometimes make out the word "food" in the gulps :rofl :rofl

LOL, when I ask the cat if she's hungry in the vicinity of the pond the fish go crazy.

Here's what a scientist who studies fish psychoacoustics says concerning what we know about goldfish hearing:

"The current understanding of fish psychoacoustics does nothing to discourage high expectations of fishes’ higher perceptual functions. In the case of perhaps the most extensively studied species, “absolute detection thresholds, frequency discrimination, intensity discrimination, temporal summation, complex spectrum discrimination, temporal discrimination and resolution, and various measures of ‘auditory filter’ characteristics show that the goldfish falls solidly within a general vertebrate pattern of auditory processing” (Fay & Ream, 1986, p. 1883). Furthermore, goldfish are known to perceive acoustic dimensions equivalent to what humans perceive as pitch and timbre (Fay, 1995). Indeed, for more than a decade, it has seemed clear that humans and animals share the basic psychoacoustic functions and that there are probably no fundamental qualitative differences in auditory perception between humans and at least those fish whose anatomy allows them to hear reasonably well (Fay, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1998; Jacobs & Tavolga, 1968; Popper & Fay, 1993; Popper, Platt, & Saidel, 1982)."

In other words, goldfish hear pretty much what we hear.

My oranda has been trained to only eat on one side of the tank. This is out of necessity as she is blind in her left eye so I drop her food to her right. She never goes to the other side of the tank during feeding time. The others will happily come over and eat her food if they can though :)

That's really useful.

At last! someone else who teaches their fish their names. I did this when I started feeding peas to my first pond fish when they were just babies. They varied a lot in size, so I made them take the peas from my hand so everyone was fed. I'd call a name and put the pea in front of the named fish's mouth. Within a week, some of the fish would come to my hand with their mouths open when they heard their name (some smacking loudly). Some were wilder, and wouldn't come at all. When such a fish would grab a pea, I would say its name. It was easy to tell these shy fish learned their names. They would become highly agitated when I called them; would try to approach my hand, then lose their nerve and dive for the bottom. Marcin Goldfish couldn't get himself to take food from my hand for a full year. Now he takes food from my hand with great confidence, but unlike some of the fish who hang around close while the other fish are fed, he doesn't come near me until I call him.

Wildeye has never been fearful, but she waits quietly until I call her. Some of the fish like to take food from my hand so much that if I throw food in the pond, they would just stay watching me, waiting for me to feed them. So I taught a new command: "Find it!" I say this when I toss food in the pool. Within a few days, all of the fish would look for food on the pond surface when I said this.

When I add a new fish to a pond in which the fish all hand feed when their names are called, the new fish picks it up really quickly. Goldfish pay great attention to how other goldfish get food. Learning really accelerates when they are learning from their pondmates as well as me. Learning their name in 2 days is not unusual.

It's not hard to tell that a fish recognizes its name when it's swimming away, you call it, and it makes a u-turn and sticks its mouth out of the water.

I will try this, the only problem I might have with it is both their names sound kinda similar, Saffy and Sandy, will see how I go

I will try this, the only problem I might have with it is both their names sound kinda similar, Saffy and Sandy, will see how I go

If you are consistent with pronunciation you should be fine.

Maybe you could take the "y" off one name to make it easier for them, Saff and Sandy or Saffy and Sand.

No, I have not trained my fish to do anything but be cute. :clapping:

No, I have not trained my fish to do anything but be cute. :clapping:

And you did that very well!

OMG! This is such a fun idea!! I must try! Are all types of GF equally smart and receptive?

All goldfish are not equally smart and receptive. I don't think it's related to the variety.