Handling and weighing

GoldPigs

Not sure if I put this in the right place, please move it if necessary.

First of all, how do you hold a goldfish? For close examination etc. Is there anything I should be careful of?

Also, how do you weigh a goldfish? Also, related to weighing, I believe my fishes' growth have been stunted (can post pictures if you want to confirm), so what is the best way to get them to the size they should be?

Hmm I really have no tips on the handling because *nock on wood* I've never had reason to examine them closely. The only time I handle them is when I weigh them and they are all really good for me and don't splash around. Someone else will have to help you there (I'll learn something too!).

As for the growth pics would help if you need an answer. What size tank are they in? I see you have two?

hmmm they do have big eyes but I'm no expert maybe a mod will help determine if they are. They will probably grow here soon?

Well when I had to weigh my fish I was extremely squirmish. I've never been able to touch my fish so I had to scoop them up in a small container and bring them over to the scale. The scale already had another container of tank water and was zeroed out. That was the only way I could minimize contact with my fish.

Well when I had to weigh my fish I was extremely squirmish. I've never been able to touch my fish so I had to scoop them up in a small container and bring them over to the scale. The scale already had another container of tank water and was zeroed out. That was the only way I could minimize contact with my fish.

I was thinking of doing that but it would probably still be good to know how to hold them

Here's an instructional video I did on weighing fish a while ago :)

http://youtu.be/fKJ6MM8UCjI

My fish have grown quite a lot since this video, and I now use two hands, since they're too big to hold safely in one hand. They will be squirmish since they're not used to it, but hold them gently at the surface (still under water though) until they stop to squirm. It usually only takes a few seconds. The more you do it, the more used to it they will get, and having your hand in the water for a few minutes before even touching or interacting with them will also help them get used to your hand being in the tank. I usually handle my fish once a week, upside down in the water so I can gently feel their bellies.

Just remember to thoroughly clean your hands under warm water (no soaps- just water) and remember to hold them gently, but firmly. Use two hands for more support, and if you are feeling like you're not up to the task just yet, scoop them up with a container :)

In terms of growth, they will catch up. Stunting is not an indefinite term. As long as the water conditions are great, and diet is good, they'll grow in their own time. Genetics will also play a role on how big they do get.

Edited by Narny105

Here's an example of how I hold my fish. My grip is good enough for him not to squirm out, and also so that he won't hurt himself. I would hold a little more firmly, than loosely, as I have done in the picture. But that's generally how to hold a fish so they won't get away!

ydaqedug.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk