Planting HOB or planting breeder box

Mernany

Here soon I will be getting my Fluval FX5 filter for the 110 g and I will also be getting my 55 g that I'm turing into a Betta sorority. (wasn't exactly sure where to post this so feel free to move it)

When my FX5 comes I will have two 55 g HOB filters handy (two different types, can go get brands/details if needed) although I plan to get another external canister filter for the 55. So that's two empty filters.

I was thinking of planting one on the 110 goldfish tank and one on the 55 betta tank but I have read that bettas don't like much current so my question is would it be better to plant the HOB or to get a breeder box to plant in the 55 betta tank? If the breeder box is better then I'll plant one or both of the HOBs on the 110 Goldfish tank!

When I do this I would like to use pothos on both. Would I need anything in the filters for the roots? Are there any tips to planting HOB filters?I thought it would be cool to plant some bamboo on the goldfish tank too.. :)

Any advice is welcom!

For the betta's it would be better to plant the whole tank. They need lots of places to hide from each other.

Edited by Hidr

For the betta's it would be better to plant the whole tank. They need lots of places to hide from each other.

Sorry I should have added that that tank is going to be heavily planted!! haha i'm in planning mode for that tank now. I just like the idea of plants in the HOB :) Seems cool...

Oh ok. I have lucky bamboo in my 75 gallon oscar tank. I recently added one to the inside of the 55 gallon planted tank as it kept trying to fall out of the HOB (it was getting to tall). I have some Pathos in my goldfish tank. I keep having to thin it out and plant some in the with the others I have planted in soil. They just grow all over. Never had any issue with roots. I trim them and remove any media the roots have attached themselves to then put them back in the filter.

I think someone here was putting those ribbon plants in their HOB the pet shops sell them as aquarium plants but they are really bog plants. I may try those someday.

Good luck

Edited by Hidr

hmmm okay would it be better not to have HOB on the betta tank because of the flow?

Not if you have plenty of plants. Not lots like 10 or so I mean lots and lots. You may need to buy plants and let them grow in. Also you can take trimmings as they grow to fill in the tank. You really need a LOT a lot more then you think is a lot. Needs to be crowded. So may need to have the tank setting up a few months before you get the betta's. But you can still get the fish you plan to keep with them.

JMO I am sure someone else has other ideas.

OH and you can add stuff for them to hide in/around. Such as drift wood, decor, ect......

Not if you have plenty of plants. Not lots like 10 or so I mean lots and lots. You may need to buy plants and let them grow in. Also you can take trimmings as they grow to fill in the tank. You really need a LOT a lot more then you think is a lot. Needs to be crowded. So may need to have the tank setting up a few months before you get the betta's. But you can still get the fish you plan to keep with them.

JMO I am sure someone else has other ideas.

OH and you can add stuff for them to hide in/around. Such as drift wood, decor, ect......

Ah I thought so *scribbles notes* :) I was planning on some drift wood and I keep tossing up an aztec/incan theme, only slight touches of that. I've been looking at pictures all day and I think I'm leaning towards all natural stuff. Rocks, driftwood and plants, lots and lots of plants...and more plants :rofl:) I'm taking this tank pretty slow as far as gathering things like equipment but I'll let things grow out for a few months as you said.. I'm so excited!!

I'm planning on using eco complete for substrate, then getting the driftwood and rocks, last will be the many many plants :) is that a good plan?

Sounds good. I have used the eco complete in a 10 gallon. Had good success with it. Love to see pictures as you progress.

Oh yes! Just keep checking in the betta picture forum for them... first step... get the actual tank... sigh :rofl

I personally have the back of my fifty five stacked with breeder boxes filled with lucky bamboo and other misc houseplants including a good sized peace lily. I just bought an additional canister filter and plan on splitting the outflow four ways and fixing them to drain into the breeder boxes and then into the tank. I havent got all the parts yet but this is my weekend plans and will soon find out how plausible this idea is!

Good luck with your new tank!

Whoa... Hahaha I like the idea of the whole back (besides the spaces for filter intake and out take) planted with the breeder boxes. All the way across, I'd have to get a look at the lid of the tank before I plan this all though :)

I personally have the back of my fifty five stacked with breeder boxes filled with lucky bamboo and other misc houseplants including a good sized peace lily. I just bought an additional canister filter and plan on splitting the outflow four ways and fixing them to drain into the breeder boxes and then into the tank. I havent got all the parts yet but this is my weekend plans and will soon find out how plausible this idea is!

Good luck with your new tank!

Can't wait to see how it works out! Especially since I'm canister shopping... ;) ;)

Ill try and remember to take pics when the building starts, i almost have everything i need, home depot didnt have all the fittings...need just three more!

awesome! I was at lowes today, looking for pvc fittings to make a rectangular floating net, but they didn't have street elbows for anything less than 2" diameter. Boo. Guess I'll have to hunt around!

• 2 weeks later...

So i finally finished this idea!

Canister filter has been modified and now has four outputs, that are feeding four breeder boxes stuffed with plants, mostly bamboo.

I didn't take pics of the process or the finished product before i put it on my tank but i will take pics if people wish it of it working.

So far it is working great and the added plant mass from the fourth breeder box is always good.

Im hoping that the increased flow rate will help the plants to take up more nitrate! Will be checking often!