Fun little goldie story...

kiwikacey

As some of you might be aware, I have a thread in the 911 forum right now...my fishies are going through a rough streak but they're under treatment for flukes now and their tank is salted for nitrites! Thanks to everyone at Kokos for your wonderful and loving advice :)

While Speckle has been in the QT for a break from the nitrogen cycle, she has learned an ADORABLE new habit! At first....I thought I was just making it up but....she has learned how to get my attention by making a noise! She blows a bubble and then pops it at the surface, making a little "click" noise. The QT is on my desk and she spends the day trying to get me to look at her while I do my schoolwork, and after she started making this noise I looked at her because I had no idea what she was doing!!!! Now she has figured out that noise = attention and she is doing it whenever she wants some love and I'm not "giving her enough." She's also learned to spit water at the tank top to make a noise.....that will be a joy when she's back in the main tank with no top.

This fish is such a smartie!!! None of the others seem to learn as fast as she has. (as I write this....she "clicked" again!!!!)

I wish I could post a video for you guys...she is just too cute. And this is unbelievable, I would understand if you were skeptical without video evidence! But I swear....as soon as I look at her she stops and swims little dances, then looks at me , then dances.

Edited by kiwikacey

That's so sweet! My girl Ursula does something like that too. She goes over the the thermometer and pokes it to make it clink on the glass. Little attention whores, we have.

I believe it! My dexy does it too! At first I thought she was air drinking, but I started noticing that she only does it when I'm in the room :D. I totally agree that they are super smart!

Aw that's so cute!

Whenever I'm near the tank, Abraham will come to the top and smack his lips very loudly - saying "food now please!"

My large oranda does the same, it scared the carp out of me the first time :rofl

He doesn't do it often though, but when he does its really loud lol

I'll try and get pics! Problem is, every time she sees the camera, she starts dancing!! What a diva.

And Ivy & Anastasia, yes.....what attention whores we have!! I'm continually surprised by how smart our little goldies are :)

Aw that's so cute!

Whenever I'm near the tank, Abraham will come to the top and smack his lips very loudly - saying "food now please!"

Aww! Haha, Buttons does a similar thing, except he presses his lips to the GLASS of the tank! So there's just big black moor lips like a suction cup looking out at me when he wants food. I have to wonder what they're thinking sometimes :rolleyes:

Clementine did the thermometer clicking... until she cracked it and the thermometer began filling with water. :rofl Now she just smacks at the surface with her mouth as hard as she can, then splashes you with all her force, then looks at you with this furious stare... 'Give. Me. Attention. Mom.'

Ok (if you don't have a tripod) here's what 'cha do to catch the shot! Place a TV tray right near the tank & sit the camera up then sit right there to watch tv or read. When the fish get over you being there they'll go about their business & HOPEFULLY the special one will do the sought after "trick".

Hope you get a video clip I REALLY wanna see this!!! Good Luck :Jig:

So....I got a video!!! Unfortunately she went out of the frame to do it, but you can still hear the "click" at about 0:17. At the beginning of the video she tried to blow bubbles....it takes her a bit to actually get one big enough.

The little stinker made a BIG one AFTER I took the video!!!!! She keeps clicking at me so I will try and get a better video later.

Edited by kiwikacey