BOUGHT THE 100 GAL!

You can basically just move the old filter straight over to the new tank and take the cycle with you. There should not even be a noticeable cycle bump or similar as it still is the same amount of BBS and number of fish, just with a larger water volume which will dilute toxins even further :)

That was my initial plan, but I figured I would move slowly and get the new tank all set up and ready to go while I wait for the salt/Prazi treatment to be over in the 55. So it might be a few weeks before I can move them--in the meantime, I figured I might as well be fishlessly cycling the new tank, but maybe it's pointless?

No, not pointless! After all, you will need some additional filter for the bigger tank anyway. You can speed up the process by stealing a little bit of media from your current filter :)

You can basically just move the old filter straight over to the new tank and take the cycle with you. There should not even be a noticeable cycle bump or similar as it still is the same amount of BBS and number of fish, just with a larger water volume which will dilute toxins even further :)

That was my initial plan, but I figured I would move slowly and get the new tank all set up and ready to go while I wait for the salt/Prazi treatment to be over in the 55. So it might be a few weeks before I can move them--in the meantime, I figured I might as well be fishlessly cycling the new tank, but maybe it's pointless?

The BB will only grow to the amount of bioload present. If you are not adding any fish then moving the existing 2 HOB filters over should be sufficient. This larger tank, however, gives you a great reason to add more fish and another filter. The other filter can be added after you get your fish settled in their new home, and will be seeded by your existing 2 filters.

The 100G tank will look spectacular.

I plan to get a 3rd goldie, but probably not until after my 2 week vacation in July. Having the 100 gal w/ just 3 fish (2 GF and BN Pleco) and 3 filters on it should ensure that the tank will be fine w/out a water change for 2 weeks. My petsitter will be living at my place but he will have a TON to do (dogs, cats, chickens, horses, tortoise, fish!) so I don't want to ask him to do a WC, esp. since he's not a fish person. When I get back I'll think about another fishy.

Just ordered a bunch of stuff from Ken's! Media for the filter, a bubble wand and airline, a few plants, media bags, etc!!

I plan to spend all day Sat dealing w/ the tank. Early a.m. I will clean the screen porch and table off, so I have a place to put the tank and the stand. I will be painting the stand green before bringing it into the house. I'm picking it up at 11 a.m. and my handyguy is supposed to meet me back at home to help me offload it. Hopefully I can get the tank disinfected and the first coat on the stand on Sat! :) My goal is to have that all done by the NEXT Sat. so I can have my handyguy come back and help me move it inside then!

Edited by pawsplus

UPDATE!

First, the bad news: It's a 90, not a 100 gal. This is not a tragedy, as it's still 35 gal more than my 55, and almost twice the surface area for O2 exchange. But I'm annoyed w/ myself for not measuring it. I forgot to take a tape measure when I went to look at it and emailed the owner asking him to measure it--he had moved and the only thing left in the house at the time was the tank, and he said when he looked for his tape measure he couldn't find it (I don't think he was lying--he HAD just moved after all). I should have insisted on coming back over to measure it, or I should have measured it before I actually paid for it on Sat. I would still have taken it but I would not have paid as much for it once I knew it wasn't what was advertised.

Anyway, it's still a great tank! It's on my screen porch right now. My handyguy checked under the house and said it looks good to him, but there was one place (not really near where the tank is going) that I was concerned about, so to be safe he's going to jack that up and put concrete blocks under it. In the meantime, I painted the stand moss green. Next Saturday, after he shores up that one area, we will move the stand and the tank into the house.

Here's the tank and all the stuff that came with it (including the Eheim 2217 filter!) and the stand (pre-painting). I've figured out some really great storage solutions (shelves, hooks, and drawers) and I'll post pix of those once everything is moved in! :)

DSCF2832_zpsab533d34.jpg

DSCF2833_zpsad2702d6.jpg

I am soooooo jealous. Don't beat yourself up too much about not checking, it's done now and you have a gorgeous new home for your finned ones.

Enjoy it. I would kill to get a tank that size.

I know! Originally I hoped to get a 75, so a 90 is great. I just feel stupid for not checking, and I would have been able to get it for $50 less if I had, I'm sure. Could use that $50 for media for the new filter LOL!

But it is HUGE and I love the additional surface area. Can't wait to get them in there! I have to wait until we're done w/ salt/Prazi treatment though, so it will be about 2 more weeks.

Can't wait to see it up and full of wiggly babies. Oh and don't beat yourself up about not realizing it's a different size then what ya thought it was. You are not the only one to do that, take it from me. :lol2

The original owner looked like he took really good care of the stand and the tank because it looks brand new. OR, You had cleaned it up really good. They are both beautiful. Congrats again. You are going to have so much fun getting it all ready for your fish. :)

UPDATE: IT'S IN THE HOUSE!! AT LAST!!!!

Handyguy #1 hurt his back, so I called Handyguy #2. He came out yesterday and put in the support under the house I wanted added. He confirmed (he's a fancier handyguy than Bubba Handyguy #1) that things look good under there, esp. under the wall where I'm putting the 90 gal. He was impressed that all my joists are oak, and said it shouldn't have any problem w/ the tank. Whew!

Then we carried the stand and tank in and Handyguy leveled it very professionally with shims:

DSCF2899_zps61c4eb9f.jpg

After he left, I got the substrate added (a mixture of Tahitian moon gravel and crystal river gravel--both very tiny and nearly sand). It's less than 1/2" deep. I boiled and added my Vancouver Island rocks. Then I moved the big driftwood over from the 55 b/c I wanted to do that before adding water. When I first moved it, this is how it looked:

DSCF2903_zps3298cb02.jpg

This tank is a few inches shorter than the 55 and I was a little concerned, for big Georgia's sake, about that piece that sticks up nearly to the top, and that piece seemed a little loose on the base, so I wrestled w/ it and pulled it off. THEN I found out that it was affixed via screws through 1 piece of slate, with another piece of slate glue on under that, so I can't remove the screws. <sigh> Today I will pull the thing out, hacksaw off the screws, and put silicone over the ends to keep them from injuring anyone.

But I think it will be more GF friendly this way:

DSCF2907_zps3fc80720.jpg

Then I arranged things under the stand. Here is the left side, with the wire spice rack (for food, water treatment stuff, meds, etc) and the stacking drawers. I put the 2 sets of 4 drawers on a little wooden stand I had to get the bottom one up enough so I can open it (otherwise the lip of the doorframe gets in the way).

DSCF2905_zps3ae886b8.jpg

And the right side, where the filter, pump, etc. will live, with hooks for hanging stuff up. There are 2 larger hooks on the back for the pythons but you can't see them in this pic. I'll take more once everything is in.

DSCF2906_zps564b4273.jpg

So I need to fix the driftwood and then I'll fill the tank and start playing w/ the Eheim canister filter. :)

I like it & I especially like that u took the time to organize the inside of the cabinet. Looks great. I'm gonna show these pics to my mother who has a 40 gallon breeder tank on a similar wood stand that's just a big ol' bunch of chaos inside the cabinet...seriously needs proper organizing.

Thanks! Yeah, it was utter chaos under my 55 and when I cleaned it out I found all sorts of things I had no idea I had (b/c they were in this drawer thing that couldn't be opened w/out removing it from under the tank, and to do that I had to remove all the crap on top of it LOL, so that never happened). Now I can FIND everything!

I was really excited about the little spice holder thingy. I found it at Home Depot for $14.00.

Edited by pawsplus

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys--I disappeared b/c a week ago last Sunday I was stepped on by a client's horse (I'm a barefoot hoof trimmer) and when I fell to the side, my leg rotated over the stationary foot (held down by the horse) and my ankle broke. I had surgery last Wed. (screws) and have been at home and away from email for a solid week. I'll be non-weightbearing (on crutches) for 8 horrible weeks!!! Fortunately for the fishies, I moved them into the new 90 gal tank the Sat. before my accident, and they are doing great. I have video and will try to remember to get it uploaded. I did a partial water change this past Saturday--not an easy thing on crutches, and it took forever, but got 'er done, and the water parameters were perfect before I did it. Yay. At least they are now way understocked and overfiltered so if a little too long does have to go by during my recovery, they'll be OK.

Edited by pawsplus

Hi guys--I disappeared b/c a week ago last Sunday I was stepped on by a client's horse (I'm a barefoot hoof trimmer) and when I fell to the side, my leg rotated over the stationary foot (held down by the horse) and my ankle broke. I had surgery last Wed. (screws) and have been at home and away from email for a solid week. I'll be non-weightbearing (on crutches) for 8 horrible weeks!!! Fortunately for the fishies, I moved them into the new 90 gal tank the Sat. before my accident, and they are doing great. I have video and will try to remember to get it uploaded. I did a partial water change this past Saturday--not an easy thing on crutches, and it took forever, but got 'er done, and the water parameters were perfect before I did it. Yay. At least they are now way understocked and overfiltered so if a little too long does have to go by during my recovery, they'll be OK.

well even though you broke your ankle(which is awful) at least you put the goldfish in the day before. Edited by goldfishfanforever

So sorry about your injury and surgery. Hope you are doing ok.I'm sure it hurry like a stinker. I can't wait to see your new setup! :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2