What is this? Parasite?

Daniel E.

• Supporter

Looking at one of my snails I am seeing something that might be a parasite or worm. Whatever it is I don’t think it is supposed to be there. Also to note there was another on this snail further up on the filler but it is now gone and the feeler has experienced what seems to be some damage as a result.

They are in a QT tank by themselves.

Also I have several small thin hair like worm in the tank that I have been fighting ever since i moved the snails into it.

I have used parzipro and even salt in the tank to try and fix this. I have also emptied the tank sterilized the plants, filter, and rocks in a bleach solution, also done two 90-100% water changes and cleaned the sand twice. Also have am not adding any food of any sort but I can’t seem to get rid of the worms.

From doing some research on the internet i thought they were detritus worms but I’m not sure now as what I did should have killed them out right?

Are the small hair like worms and the white egg or worm like spot on the snails related?

Here are some pics a one of the snails.

d09260d0-506e-47b7-95ff-42da34fc01ba_zps3c8320ba.jpga0462098-b95c-4e04-ae3d-c3737e4e592d_zps4d7022e0.jpg

The worms look like nematodes, or roundworms, and I don't think they are pathogenic. They are however indicative of the organic load in your tank. Cut back on feeding a bit, and/or vacuum your gravel and clean the media more frequently. All established tanks will have these, essentially, and their numbers will rise and fall based on the organic wastes.

The lump you circled looks like a freshwater limpet- also indicative of too much organic material in your water and substrate. They won't hurt anything in your tank, but you will see them hitching a ride on snails, stuck to the glass, and hanging out on the leaves of your plants. They are just teeny freshwater crustaceans. They are remedied exactly the same way as Alex instructed for the worms, and you may still see some from time to time. Bleach doesn't kill the eggs, nor does completely drying them out. The eggs can stay dormant for a looooooong time, as well. If you end up with an infestation, they can be difficult to get rid of, so it is best to control their numbers quickly. The worms and limpets often come together in tanks with available organic material for them to feed on. :)

• Supporter

I dont see how they can have that much though? I have not been feeding anything in the tank. Its only snails and plants right now. And i had not problem at all before the snails. I have cleaned and cleaned all but the walls of the tank so the snails would have something to eat. where is this bio-load comming from, and why now? Also does the limpet embed under the skin because the white spot is and dose not move. I dont know anything about limpets so thats new to me.

I dont see how they can have that much though? I have not been feeding anything in the tank. Its only snails and plants right now. And i had not problem at all before the snails. I have cleaned and cleaned all but the walls of the tank so the snails would have something to eat. where is this bio-load comming from, and why now? Also does the limpet embed under the skin because the white spot is and dose not move. I dont know anything about limpets so thats new to me.

I am not sure if that on the snail actually is a limpet. It kind of looks like it, but freshwater limpets are completely harmless. It is harder for us to see in the photo than for you in person, but does the spot look like this? http://www.fwgna.org/species/ancylidae/L_fuscus2.jpgclose up

Just probably more clear and white since at that size it must be a baby.

The snails could have brought both "pests" in with the water in their shells. They prefer living in the substrate and filter, since there ALWAYS is some gunk collected, no matter how much you clean; after all the fish's waste does not disappear, it just goes in between the substrate or into the filter - both places where these critters can freely feast on it.

• Supporter

I am not sure if that on the snail actually is a limpet. It kind of looks like it, but freshwater limpets are completely harmless. It is harder for us to see in the photo than for you in person, but does the spot look like this? http://www.fwgna.org...uscus2.jpgclose up

Just probably more clear and white since at that size it must be a baby.

The snails could have brought both "pests" in with the water in their shells. They prefer living in the substrate and filter, since there ALWAYS is some gunk collected, no matter how much you clean; after all the fish's waste does not disappear, it just goes in between the substrate or into the filter - both places where these critters can freely feast on it.

No fish in the tank. Just 4 snails. The link dont work for me so cant see it i did google it and idk it looks more like a small grain of rice under the skin of the snail.

If i continue to not feed anything will they die out after a while?

Edited by Daniel E.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldy/5499160645/ <------ limpets They look super clear like this when they just hatch, but will go a little more opaque and whiteish after they've been around for a bit. Does it look pretty much like that.

The eggs can come in with your tap water and hatch. I don't have a lot of gunk in my tanks, but because Lake Michigan is super heavy with them (which is my source water), I have a few here & there in the tank from time to time, as well.

They will cling to just about anything, and do not appear to move. They do, but very, VERY slowly. They can also seem like they are embedded in things, because there is pretty much no gap under their shell, and they cling on SUPER tight, seeming like they do not move if you pick at them. They are usually on snail shells more often than the bodies, but I have seen them on the bodies while that are making their way to the shell (sloooooowly- you won't see it if you sit and watch them.They do not appear to move, unless viewed over an elapsed period of time.).

Yep- all pics of limpets. The one in Fang's link is most likely wild caught, as it is covered with brown diatom algae and/or dirt, giving it the brown color. Unless you're having a diatom explosion in your tank or have a mud bed instead of substrate, they usually look like little whiteish, clearish bumps with a little brown dot inside.

Your water is probably also limpet heavy in TN- the rivers source through the great lakes, and a lot of the same conditions on the way down to make a thriving conditions on the way down. It could be something else,though, if it doesn't look like the pics in the links.

• Supporter

http://www.flickr.co...ldy/5499160645/ <------ limpets They look super clear like this when they just hatch, but will go a little more opaque and whiteish after they've been around for a bit. Does it look pretty much like that.

The eggs can come in with your tap water and hatch. I don't have a lot of gunk in my tanks, but because Lake Michigan is super heavy with them (which is my source water), I have a few here & there in the tank from time to time, as well.

They will cling to just about anything, and do not appear to move. They do, but very, VERY slowly. They can also seem like they are embedded in things, because there is pretty much no gap under their shell, and they cling on SUPER tight, seeming like they do not move if you pick at them. They are usually on snail shells more often than the bodies, but I have seen them on the bodies while that are making their way to the shell (sloooooowly- you won't see it if you sit and watch them.They do not appear to move, unless viewed over an elapsed period of time.).

Ok it verry well might be ill keep an eye on it.

Well with these harmless pest if i want to move the snails back to the main tank but dont want to move the pest how can i do this? I can deal with them in the 15 but dont want them in the new 80. Or are they there already and just not seeing them? Oh i have well water by the way.

Edited by Daniel E.

You most likely have at least nematodes in your other tank. But if you want to make sure, simply QT the snails for a couple weeks. Keep them in a small container and change the entire water daily, wipe down the inside of the container. The pests usually are not on the snail, and by continuously changing the water, the snail will keep refilling and emptying itself with fresh pest free water as well. :)

• Supporter

Thanks for the info. I have only had this problem once before and that was when i got snails from petsmart. I was youg and really did over feed alot. We did not know what they where so mom put about 2 cups of bleach in the tank to kill them. :( needless to say my fish and snails did not make it :( im just glad they are not a really bad thing. Ive never had problems since then though and not untill i got these snails again. Im glad i QTed them.

Thanks everybody for the info. I am just confused over one thing still. what are they eating? there has been no fish in the tank since i moved my goldfish (before i got the snails) and i cleaned the tank out verry well after i moved them. Ive not put any food in the tank. I do grow a lot of algae growth and have let it build up some for the snails to eat, are they eating that?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldy/5499160645/ <------ limpets They look super clear like this when they just hatch, but will go a little more opaque and whiteish after they've been around for a bit. Does it look pretty much like that.

Think I just caught one limpet last night too..

Slow moving very jelly white looking thing stuck on the dorsal fin of my panda!

Initially I thought my panda hurt its fins till it moved to another position like what u describe..

I learn another thing again...

I panicked and added salt, heater hoping to kill anymore in e tank...

They are so tiny!

They can eat algae, or snail poop- TINY left over food scraps, in some cases the biofilm in the tank. As Alex said, you will always have somewhat of a population in the tank, it stays under control when not overfeeding, and booms if overfeeding takes place. In my experience, the nematodes are most often seen after the substrate has been disturbed, and they will cling to the tank walls down close to the substrate line. The limpets are kind of the same. Harmless, and you may always have a few in the tank. As long as you're not overfeeding, they shouldn't go out of control.

The limpets very well may have come into the tank with the snails- snails carry water in their shells, whatever is in the water they came from also has the possibility to be inside their shells, and therefore released into the tank. They could have also been in the ground water- as with the nematodes, who likely just came from the ground water or were in the plant pots/roots when you planted the tank. (they are harmless, natural, and actually somewhat beneficial to a natural ecosystem when in numbers that are under control. I LOVE nematodes in my garden!)

Also- the limpets should be hard, they do have a shell, not squishy or jelly like. If they are squishy and/or jelly like... it is something else.