Sign in to follow this  
Danny250183

Juwel Vision 450 Aqurium cooling DIY project

Hi all,

Last week I decided to install two 12vdc 80mm fans with a variable power transformer in my hood on my juwel vision 450, this was to help me control my water temperature better.

6ECB63A3-2AD9-454E-A0B9-23C844380577-4280-000008C0FD56BC5E_zps2440425a.jpg

57DDD11E-7679-4D38-912E-A1ECE6FBB044-4280-000008C0EC0079F4_zps485cadfa.jpg

6EA89603-82B8-415F-84C1-C51A4C254864-4280-000008C10C3F5E7B_zpsc4ac4f34.jpg

21F58760-DA25-4A0A-8B5E-EDD43397BAA8-4280-000008C11CA129D5_zpsbb8b4b03.jpg

The only problem I have is that within the days that have passes since I turned them on (4days ago) I have lost 10 litres of water through evaporation!!! Is this normal

Nice Detailing. Looks Pro, u r gd with tools lol

i have two 5ft long T5 @80watt each and with 8hrs of usuage i notice abt 1cm of water in my 5ft tank goes into evaporation...

thats without any tank lid/cover...My Tank Top is exposed hence that slows down the evaporation speed...

looks like u got help frm the FAN... :wish:

Edited by dankriscurly

I hope it looks good I'm a trained electrical/mecanical engineer lol.

It's got 4 5ft t8 lamps in it and always made the water temp 24oc, so there is some heat coming of the lamps. It just seems a lot of evaporation to me, I've turned the fan speed down now to see if that reduces the water lose.

Good job Danny.......I can recognise good quality workmanship when I see it....and I see it in your set up, even down to the countersunk screws!!! Bravo!!! :clapping: :clapping:

A pair of black speaker grills may finish off the outside appearance???

Edited by Phillyn17

I am a neat freak lol, It's got to look right :-)

And it does my friend...it does!! :thumb:

Not sure whether to use active carbon air filter foam, thoughts!!!

I'd be careful...if the filters are too dense, they may defeat the object of all your hard work by restricting the air flow, and its' cooling properties. :bye2:

Edited by Phillyn17

All my thoughts was with the carbon air filter was, I was thinking that now I've got one fan pulling air into the tank, it made me think of airbourne smells and pollutants mainly from cleaning in the room!!!

Why don't you wire up both fans to pull any warm air out of the tank?? ;)

Without going into to much details about evaporation cooling, you need to have air directed at the water surface to draw heat out of the water. If I just pull air out of the tank all I will do is remove the heat produced my the lights, thus I will not be able to lower the water temp if I need to. Also there are two cutout at the back of the tank for cables and hoses and I don't want evaporation directed at the wall behind the tank :-(

I think your right, I will just fit some finger guards for now ;-), Thank you for advice

Very fancy, and very cool!

Great job... What variable power transformer are you using for the fans?

The variable power transformer im using is a 240v - 12v transfomer plug. it has a volatage switch on it to change from 3v - 12v in stages.

i will post a pic later. :carrot:

You need to send photo of the whole completed job.........tank, fish and all. How big is your tank?

So are those basically PC case fans? I would recommend adding a filter guard of some sort on the inside of the tank just in case your fish were to jump around which may result in an unwanted accident. Furthermore have seen in several computer stores fans that have a cable which allows you to adjust the fan speed, perhaps this may interest you if you want to adjust the speed on the fly etc.

Now if we want to get into the technicalities a bit more. A larger diameter fan may be more convenient (depending on the space in the hood) as the 80mm and 120mm fans have a high pressure flow. a 240 or even 320mm fan would still get cooling done but not cause as much pressure and not require such a high RPM.

Very nice addition to your tank and I must say it is looking quite awesome!