Sign in to follow this  
GoldPigs

DIY Filter

I know that I can't buy a "proper" filter cause my parents won't let me but I might be able to make a filter for my fish. Currently I have a 30 gallon tank with an AquaClear 50. It has a fair few plants (or it will by this afternoon). My parents are a bit fussy so the filter has to:

• Look good (be neat and tidy and not too obvious)
  • Work well
  • Be cheap to buy and run (cause I need to pay for it)

If any of you made a DIY filter and would like to show it of feel free :)

Get a really nice looking flower pot from the garden center- no drainage holes in the bottom, and plastic, not ceramic. Then you can make one of these awesome filters Shakaho was nice enough to make up a tutorial for. Plant it out with some lucky bamboo and pothos, and it will look like a house plant. ;)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/107385-container-bog-filter/

You might look at this filter that I built for an aquarium, As Jaime said, chose a pretty flowerpot as the filter container.

How about a sponge filter, something sort of like this but with a much neater looking (food safe, of course) container? If you already have an air pump, you can just use this and add some biological filtration to your tank :)

If you google or search youtube for DIY SPONGE FILTER you will find a lot of info :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I saw a filter on Youtube (cannot find the video) and decided to make a variation of it. It uses an air pump and an air stone and sort of works like a sponge filter. It allows you to grow a large amount of beneficial bacteria. It takes about 30 minutes to make.

Get a 1L ketchup bottle and eat all the ketchup. Take off the labels and wash the bottle well. Drill a hole at the base of the neck of the bottle, large enough to insert an airline. Drill lots of small holes at the base of the bottle, where the bottle would touch the counter. This is where the air escapes up. Drill 2 holes into one of the faces of the bottle and insert suction cups. Fill the bottle with as much ceramic biomedia as you can, to just below the airline hole. You will need to buy this. it cost me about $5 for 1 lb of ceramic biomedia. Insert the airline into the bottle's neck and then, from the inside of the bottle, add the airstone. Cut some sponge and add this to the neck of the bottle.

Stick this to the side of your tank, turn the bottle upside down and turn on the air pump. The air will rise from the neck of the bottle, through the biomedia and cultivate beneficial bacteria. This movement of air will force water to move through the bottle after going through your sponge. This is how a sponge filter also works. This method will more than double the amount of biomedia that is in your AC50.

Performance wise the air stone makes this filter less noisy, because smaller bubbles make less noise than larger bubbles. I tried the filter with no air stone and it is much louder. Adding more biomedia to your tank will allow for faster conversion of ammonia and nitrites into nitrates, reducing the risk to your fish.

Why do you think you need more than an AC50 (200gph) on a 30G tank? Is the AC50 filter not adequate? A cheap alternative is to change the impeller of your AC50 to the impeller of the AC70 (~$15). The AC line, from the 20-70 all use the same motor with different sized impellers. Change the impeller to an AC70 impeller and you will have 300gph filter.

I use a sponge filter in my tank for added beneficial bacteria colonization. Would they let you purchase a sponge filter? They are very cheap. I got my large one here in the US for $10.

is a really great filter to make. It's similar to the one Torontoboy described.