Sign in to follow this  
kaylaj2355

Well folks, the internet done went and confused me again.

Alrighty, I've only ever kept goldfish (unless you count the tetra tank I had when I was 7) and I'm wanting to start a new tank of fish that I can have a school of. I'm hoping for at least 6 fish in this one, all the same variety I think.

The tank I'm looking for is a bow front 30-40 gallon. I have a lot of driftwood that I will hopefully be able to make use of in the new tank. It will definitely be planted though the plants and substrate are something I haven't decided on yet. I'm sure the fish choice will come before that choice.

My questions to you are- if you were me, what would you stock it with? What are the most interesting fish you've found for this sort of setup? As a goldfish keeper, what do you think I should keep in mind as I progress with this project?

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions :) I was just searching around online and got overwhelmed with information and it's all too much. Thought I'd back off that and start here instead!

Me guppies or Cichlids :)

I just love male guppies with their pretty tails. There's so many different colors to choose from.

I love planted tanks. Your size tank, with the driftwood sounds great, and if you had a lot of plants in it it would look incredible with schooling fish. I'd probably get a pair of angelfish or dwarf gouramis, and then a large school of cardinal tetras, a couple bristlenose plecos and some nerite snails. Maybe some ghost shrimp too.

Something sorta like this http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b209/keithgh/JEBO%20R375%20%20OCT%202010/Jebotank9113-1.jpg

My vote's on cichlids... I'm not sure how to stock them, but they're so interesting. Tough guys, too, as far as hardiness, stubbornness, and "I'm gonna beat you up"-ness.

Plus there are so many different types, but, as goldfish go, do your reading first because I think that there are compatibility issues you might want to look into. Could be wrong though! :)

Lots of choices! Thanks guys!

I do love the tetras. I had them in my room as a kid, so they have a special place in my heart. I didn't think about getting a school and then one or two bigger fish...hmm, a lot to consider!

Keep the ideas coming! :D :D

My vote's on cichlids... I'm not sure how to stock them, but they're so interesting. Tough guys, too, as far as hardiness, stubbornness, and "I'm gonna beat you up"-ness.

Plus there are so many different types, but, as goldfish go, do your reading first because I think that there are compatibility issues you might want to look into. Could be wrong though! :)

Oh oh sorry if I was clear as mud :P This is a new tank, my goldies are completely separate. I just want to try my hand at another type of fish :D

I do love the tetras. I had them in my room as a kid, so they have a special place in my heart. I didn't think about getting a school and then one or two bigger fish...hmm, a lot to consider!

Oh oh sorry if I was clear as mud :P This is a new tank, my goldies are completely separate. I just want to try my hand at another type of fish :D

huh? no no I mean between different types of cichlids. Haha your goldies would be breakfast in there, I didn't mean it that way ;)

(I think I'm confused)

Either dwarf puffers or one or two Figure 8 puffers. Puffers need heavily decorated, heavily planted tanks and are really fun to keep!

huh? no no I mean between different types of cichlids. Haha your goldies would be breakfast in there, I didn't mean it that way ;)

(I think I'm confused)

Oh no it was me that was confused xD Oh, reading is so hard on Sundays! Hahaha. Thank you!

(I think I'm confused)

Oh no it was me that was confused xD Oh, reading is so hard on Sundays! Hahaha. Thank you!

hahaha, well ya did say the internet done confused you today! :P

Good luck deciding, sometimes the hardest part but also the most fun! :)

You could look into a betta sorority. I love my girls!

Old photo of TD's guppy tank :)

DSCN1570.jpg

I'd love to see a huge school of neons... maybe some different shrimps... small snails... a moss carpet with driftwood trees?

*daydreaming *

Cichlids need a fish amount of tank space or its aggression probs

Africans need 50 to 60 gall to start and South Americans need a fish amount to

I used to keep Red Devils and oscars, but you can keep parrot fish in community tanks though

I would do a small school of guppies, heavy planted, and let them multiply! Also I would add 3 apple snails!

Community tanks look good when planned out to have bottom, middle and top swimmers !

i like tetras and barbs. the zebra barbs are so flashy and school well !

Thank you ALL for the suggestions! I'm off to start researching! :P

I'm really liking the tetras. Can different kinds live together or would they prefer to be all cardinals, all congos, etc.?

I ended up stocking my 50 gallon bow with cories, platies, applesnails and a pleco.

I have a soft spot for tetras, though. and I will ALWAYS suggest corydoras for a bottom dweller. They are amazingly interesting, constantly scooting around and interacting.

As far as tetras go I'd suggest neons or rummy noses. Danios would be cool, too!

If I got, say 3-4 corys and had maybe 15 congo tetras, would that be overstocked on a 30-40 gallon?

I'm getting excited now :P

The more I read about tetras the more I'm concerned about my very hard water. Thoughts?