New DIY project, 7 foot stand with continuous flow tanks

le0p

I was able to get a nice 55 gallon and stand off CL recently so my goldies are getting an upgrade from their 20 gallon home. I'm moving in two weeks and BROKE, so I've been working on solutions to ease the wallet pain. This is what I've come up with:

The system will run side by side, I have two stands but they don;t match much and the wife wanted something that was cohesive.Thus, I'm starting to build a 7 foot x 2ft (at the widest point) to have plenty of room for both tanks and a sump underneath.

Basically, I'll be using the 40B as a sump refugium to start. It already has mega filtration and I'll plant a ton of fast growing plants in there. It will still house my three african clawed frogs.

Once I assemble the pieces for the lower sump (just need a pump, overflow and the baffle work), the top flow will stay the same except it will overflow into the lower sump and then be returned the the 55. I drew up a couple diagrams to help (me) understand the workings...5540setup_zps8ffd1014.jpg

When the sump gets set up in a little while, it'll look like this:

5540setup2_zps8ebf6ae0.jpg\

For the stand, this is currently my design specs, construction should start in a week or two. Just excited to get it started, so I got a build thread going.

55StandDesign1_zps87ad7c01.jpg

55StandDesign2_zps6f23ee65.jpg

Definitely looking for criticism and improvements, so please commemt!

Thanks!

Thanks, I;m going to be using weir style overflow boxes most likely with aqualifter pumps to ensure they restart. I had planned on drilling all the tanks but the wife put up strong opposition to such a thing. I have an old old old tank that I might just drill to show it's not impossible and maybe change her mind.

• 1 year later...

Thanks, I;m going to be using weir style overflow boxes most likely with aqualifter pumps to ensure they restart. I had planned on drilling all the tanks but the wife put up strong opposition to such a thing. I have an old old old tank that I might just drill to show it's not impossible and maybe change her mind.

We drilled our 100 gallon no problem. Go slow and have an assistant pour water on the drill spot to cool it. Go slow or you'll get chips near the end of the cut, but nothing that will harm the integrity, just makes nasty cuts. Good luck.

We drilled our 100 gallon no problem. Go slow and have an assistant pour water on the drill spot to cool it. Go slow or you'll get chips near the end of the cut, but nothing that will harm the integrity, just makes nasty cuts. Good luck.

This thread is from 2013, guys. :teehee

go for it , but use proper bulkheads

Welcome to Koko's! :hi:hug Edited by Chai

This thread is from 2013, guys. :teehee

go for it , but use proper bulkheads

Welcome to Koko's! :hi:hug
Ha!