Sign in to follow this  
Black

Eating air

Pickles still eats air from the surface especially after eating, and I'm worried about the long term effects of this. The only food I've tried that causes the least air eating and keeps her the most regular is spinach. I've been feeding this most days but it really messes up the tank. The other foods I feed her are SG, hikari pellets, peas and bloodworms.

My questions are:

1) is it ok to feed a young fish spinach so often, as they need protein for growth ( I only feed bloodworms twice a week)

2) are there any other foods that are good for air eating fish?

She also sits on the bottom when there's no noise or the light is off, but she swims fairly normally otherwise. I've recently treated for flukes so it's likely not to be that

it's very normal to rest at the bottom during sleeping time and if reasonably active during the day, goldfish are known to take "naps" every so often too :)

re the gulping, sometimes, it becomes a habit. if she's been doing it for a while, then it might be a bit harder to shake.

1. re the spinach, once a day? i don't see a problem with that. i say this because, i make gelfood which has spinach in it. (before the Repashy wave lol) they never had issues with being fed the same gelfood twice a day for most days of the week.

2. since the fish is gulping air after the feed, then there isn't much you can do diet wise, just keep feeding her healthy foods, changing every now and again, but keeping an eye out on what causes her to gulp less. hopefully, one day she will break that habit.

Thanks Helen, that's all reassuring :) I just hope she's ok, and there isn't anything I keep missing. I've only got Googles to compare her to!

Thanks Helen, that's all reassuring :) I just hope she's ok, and there isn't anything I keep missing. I've only got Googles to compare her to!

My fish are pretty young, and they seem okay with me feeding them spinach.

I am currently feeding them solely spinach on Saturdays and letting them fast Sunday.

Good luck.

I would take off the "hikari pellets" for a week and see if that helps :)

Ok, I'll stop with the pellets and resume fasting once a week.

I have also just caught her laying eggs- only about 5 and she seems to have stopped and is now pooping.

Could this be contributing to the air eating? I don't know why she's stopped laying

unsure.. but, just incase she's having a hard time spawning, would you like to try feeding her half a pea with epsom granule in it? you might want to repeat this about 4-6 hours later.. but only for those two occasions. ok?

Ok, I'll try that although she's having spinach at the moment. Will the Epsom help her release the rest of the eggs?

I've put her on googles side- I want babies!

Ok, I'll try that although she's having spinach at the moment. Will the Epsom help her release the rest of the eggs?

I've put her on googles side- I want babies!

that's the plan, but if you do want babies, i guess you should wait a few days to see if she will naturally release them (with a little bit of help from her suitor :D ). don't wait too long though, you don't want eggs going off in her belly if this is what's occuring.

I'd love a baby googles more than anything but I don't think he's up to the job :( I think he's 99% blind and totally oblivious to her, until she starts nipping him.

Not sure whether to try again with the divider out.

Actually I've just noticed ALL his breeding stars have disappeared!! He used to have a mass of them. Where have they gone??!

i'm not sure hun, but i would like you to post a shout out, with a link to your thread, for experienced breeders to stop by and answer your questions. ok? just to be on the safe side as i have zero experience in actual breeding, only know the signs, but have never actually done anything about breeding behaviour or raised fry.

Hi Helen, if you have time could you copy it for me? Not sure how to do it on my phone, thank you :)

I seem to quite often have at least one that likes to gulp air......I think they plan this habit Just To Irritate the Starch Outta Me!!

Jazz does it now & then until he becomes buoyant. Now & then after eating he'll swim around then just sort of "let go" and he rises to the surface......only to gulp some more!! Then REPEATS. (All of the food sinks!)

AGAIN..it is a evil plan sit to irritate me!!!!