Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

Driftwood + Planting Anubias

So I FINALLY have two pieces of driftwood to attach an anubias (or a few) to. My question is what is the process for attaching anubias to driftwood. And which anubias are the strongest/hardiest? I've never had plants in my tank except for some free-floating anacharis.

I know I could google this. But I'll rather get the info from people who have "done it and tried it".

Rubber bands, cotton thread, fishing line, and superglue are all options. :)

If you do super glue, use the gel form. It's much easier.

I think so far my favorite Anubias that I have is the coffeefolia. It has a little darker green leaf that is quite thick/sturdy.

:)

There are some good videos on Youtube:)

If you opt for fishing line/elastic bands, ensure that you don't secure the plant too tightly - doing so may cause it to die off.

I attached mine, as Dan said, loosely with fishing line. Eventually it attaches itself to the driftwood & you just snip off the fishing line!

Attach it to a part that isn't too smooth like a river rock. I have the common anubias barteri and it worked well for me. I used liquid superglue and it wasn't so permanent. Half my anubias would detach and float to the surface during gravel vac time. Then I switched to rubberbands but did it too tight and lost a few leaves. But anubias are very resilient and can regrow leaves from just an empty rhizome. I've got slow but steady growth now and I think my anubias has doubled in volume since 9 months ago.

I just put some Anubias and Java Fern in my tank tonight. I used thread to tie the Anubias to rocks and just stuffed the Java Fern into some holes in the driftwood.

http://s1269.photobu...html?sort=3&o=0

I used to tie my plants down but have noticed a correlation in the amount of time the plant takes to "hold" onto the driftwood seems to correlate with what medium I'm using. Of course this is simply what I've noticed but it's much easier to glue anubias onto wood than it is to try and tie it down. And I think the more steady contact allows the plant to adhere quicker. Thread is also trickier because tied to tight it can cut through the plant, especially with clumsy goldies knocking it about. I've never had a problem with any variety of anubias, and I have quite a few! They're very hardy and pretty plants.

I used to tie my plants down but have noticed a correlation in the amount of time the plant takes to "hold" onto the driftwood seems to correlate with what medium I'm using. Of course this is simply what I've noticed but it's much easier to glue anubias onto wood than it is to try and tie it down. And I think the more steady contact allows the plant to adhere quicker. Thread is also trickier because tied to tight it can cut through the plant, especially with clumsy goldies knocking it about. I've never had a problem with any variety of anubias, and I have quite a few! They're very hardy and pretty plants.

I would rather use glue as it seems a lot easier than thread. But I am unsure as to the proper procedure. Does the Anubias, wood and/or rock need to be dry for the glue to bond? How long does it need to set before putting it back into the tank?

I typically glue everything while its wet. Put some glue on the rock or wood and stick the plant to it then I put it in a container of water which helps it cute faster. I wait about 30 minutes and then add it to the tank.

I typically glue everything while its wet. Put some glue on the rock or wood and stick the plant to it then I put it in a container of water which helps it cute faster. I wait about 30 minutes and then add it to the tank.

Great, thanks!