Is this a lionhead goldfish?

I agree...maybe a lionchu which is a lovely blend. However, if I had to choose, I would lean toward Lionhead. One way to tell is by whether the head or the belly grabs your attention first. If the head draws your eye, it's probably a Lionhead. If the belly is more pronounced, it's a Ranchu. This fish looks young. It may develop more defining traits as it matures.

That's a cute fish.

When I got mine, everyone thought it was a lionhead. After six months of a good diet, and great water parameters, that fish grew nice and fat, big and strong. She looks totally different now, when you look at her pics side by side.

If you aren't sure now, maybe give it some time, and revisit the question later. Congratulations on your new fish--sure is a cutie!

Has anyone noticed the trend to replace the traditional straight-backed, bumpy-wenned lionhead with the curve-backed, smooth-wenned Ranchu? I don't get this. I really like the look of both breeds. I have an old school lionhead and a modern ranchu and I really enjoy the contrast.

• Admin

Thats more of a Ranchu than a lionhead.. if anything it can be a Lionchu.. meaning a ranchu back with a lionhead face... Ranchus have a 90* tail tuck, Lionheads have a straight back.... thats all thats to that point :)

This is an interesting discussion. I notice that the Japanese have a more rigid definition of "Ranchu" than we do here in America. The other thing is that many pet stores realize that Ranchus are more coveted by collectors and often try to pass off Lionheads as Ranchu to make more money.

^^Yep, just like all the fantails they sold me as ryukins!! :rofl

OK!!! 3 years, and still no hump!!!!!!!

Yep!! Mine aren't quite 3 years (one is 1 and the other is probably 2) but neither are ryukins. :rofl That's OK by me though. I picked the calico cuz I like it's color and my son picked out the other one. They are the 2 to the right in my signature, the first one was actually sold as a fantail. They got 1 out of 3 right. :teehee

^^Yep, just like all the fantails they sold me as ryukins!! :rofl

OK!!! 3 years, and still no hump!!!!!!!

Yep!! Mine aren't quite 3 years (one is 1 and the other is probably 2) but neither are ryukins. :rofl That's OK by me though. I picked the calico cuz I like it's color and my son picked out the other one. They are the 2 to the right in my signature, the first one was actually sold as a fantail. They got 1 out of 3 right. :teehee

They look like nice fish!

• Admin

Thank you. They aren't fancy but I :heart them!! :D

Edit: Sorry for off topic fantail vs ryukin talk. :o Back to the regularly scheduled programming . . .

:wa

• Admin

Thank you. They aren't fancy but I :heart them!! :D

Edit: Sorry for off topic fantail vs ryukin talk. :o Back to the regularly scheduled programming . . .

:wa

:donthit: I said I was sorry!! :teehee I know you never get off topic . . . :lol2

Me get off topic, Never.. I wouldnt hijack a thread... :o

:teehee:devilangel:idea: