Filter Media

How often should I change my filter media? I have an AquaClear 50 and use the Sponge, Biomax and carbon. How often should I change each of them? Also, should I use carbon, I have read on different sites that some don't use carbon but use two of the biomax, any suggestions?

I would rinse the sponge (squeeze it several times) in a bucket of tank water or dechlorinated tap water weekly. I usually rinse my biomedia about monthly, again in tank water or dechlorinated tap water. In general you do not need carbon in your filter. Occasionally people will use it to clear medications out of the water but I prefer good ole water changes. More biomax would be great! :D

okay, thanks. So how long would the sponge and biomax last? (how much money do I need to save :P )

The biomax should last a long time (like years), you only need to replace it when it begins to get crumbly.

I typically replace my sponges every 3-6 months. But I honestly think you could even go longer. Again, the media only really needs to be replaced when it begins to physically break down. So, if you notice that the sponge is starting to break off/fall apart, then it is definitely time to replace it.

Mostly, a quick rinse in some tank water is fine. I actually only rinse my media monthly, but how often you need to do this will depend on your setup and how quickly the sponge gets gunky.

You shouldn't really need to replace the biomax for a looong time (years) unless it starts to crumble. The sponge won't need very frequent replacement either . . . I would say maybe every 3 months? Replace it when squeezing it just doesn't seem to get it clean anymore or it starts breaking apart/losing its shape. :D

So hopefully not a ton of money!! :rofl

Edit: sniped by tithra :P

Edited by fantailfan1

You shouldn't really need to replace the biomax for a looong time (years) unless it starts to crumble. The sponge won't need very frequent replacement either . . . I would say maybe every 3 months? Replace it when squeezing it just doesn't seem to get it clean anymore or it starts breaking apart/losing its shape. :D

So hopefully not a ton of money!! :rofl

Edit: sniped by tithra :P

lol. I looked below and didn't see you typing :rofl

at least we are on the same page!

Yes, no need for carbon on a regular basis. I use two sponges and one biomax in all three of my AC 50's that I run on my 55 gallon tank. You can switch a sponge for carbon when it's needed to remove medicine, etc. from the water.