Sign in to follow this  
HappyPercy

Proper way to prepare peas for goldfish?

I've read up on this and I can't seem to find it in the forum exactly. How do I prepare peas for the fish to eat? Do I microwave them/not microwave? Thaw/not thaw? Can you just drop them in the tank frozen?How much should I give them?

I just put a few in a cup of hot water. In 2 min or so they're all thawed. I then remove the outside covering and drop them in!

I hold mine for a little while which is enough to mostly defrost them, take the shell of and break it in half.

Microwave until soft. I put them in a little half cup storage container and zap them for a minute. If your fish are large, you can just crush the whole pea and toss it in. The skin is a great source of fiber. For smaller fish squish the pea, remove the skin and toss them the inside. For very small fish, squash the inside of the pea to mush and toss that in.

They're already soft! I don't see any reason to microwave them.

Frozen peas I put in a mug, pour boiled water over them, once cooled shell the peas then sit in fresh boiled water again for a minute.

Microwave until soft. I put them in a little half cup storage container and zap them for a minute. If your fish are large, you can just crush the whole pea and toss it in. The skin is a great source of fiber. For smaller fish squish the pea, remove the skin and toss them the inside. For very small fish, squash the inside of the pea to mush and toss that in.

Won't the fish choke on the skin? I heard that the fish shouldn't eat the skin. :hummm I buy the frozen peas. I'll take some out of the bag usually about 3 per fish is what I do and put them in a low dish with some water and microwave it for about 40 seconds. You want to make sure the peas are soft. Hold the pea with your thumb and pointer finger and give the pea a little squeeze. The pea should just pop out of the shell. Make sure the pea has cooled before feeding it to your fish.

I do what Mummy does and squirt them out of their skins with my fingers.

Won't the fish choke on the skin? I heard that the fish shouldn't eat the skin.

I've heard that too, and also that goldfish won't eat whole peas. I think it's just a silly idea someone had, and others just repeated it. And, as you well know, if it's repeated enough times on the internet it becomes "common knowledge."

It is hard for a small goldie to get a whole pea in its mouth, and even the big ones find something that's round hard to grab (like bobbing for apples). That's why I squeeze it enough to break the skin so it goes down easily. If I remove the skins and toss them in with the pulp, the fish gobble up both.

Fiber is good for fish like it is for people!

Won't the fish choke on the skin? I heard that the fish shouldn't eat the skin.

I've heard that too, and also that goldfish won't eat whole peas. I think it's just a silly idea someone had, and others just repeated it. And, as you well know, if it's repeated enough times on the internet it becomes "common knowledge."

It is hard for a small goldie to get a whole pea in its mouth, and even the big ones find something that's round hard to grab (like bobbing for apples). That's why I squeeze it enough to break the skin so it goes down easily. If I remove the skins and toss them in with the pulp, the fish gobble up both.

Fiber is good for fish like it is for people!

That's very interesting! I never would have thought to give them the skin too.