plants that snails wont eat...

What kind of snail? Most of your average aquatic snails do not eat healthy plants, but only dying plant matter. I only had it happen to me once that nails would eat plants, and that was a water wisteria that didn't do too well from the beginning, and my apple snails ate it up.

Other than that, never had a problem :) Just make sure there is enough food for the snails to eat, so they are not forced to eat the healthy plants :)

2nd for what kind of snail? What they will & won't eat kind of depends on what you've got.

Rabbit snails will eat just about any plant you put in with them- sometimes voraciously, sometimes just munch on it. They aren't too common in the hobby, though. You can find them, if you look, but most likely not a wandering into a LFS type of purchase.

Mystery snails will eat the heck out of water lettuce and duckweed. That's the only thing I have found that they will eat. Well, besides leafy greens like lettuce that I add to the tank, but that doesn't count.

They usually leave plants alone, unless it's leaves that are starting to decay (dead or unhealthy leaves)- they will eat dwarf water lettuce, duckweed, and amazon frogbit, though. Like crazy, too. Especially the frogbit.

It sounds like you might have the larger species of apple snail pomacea canaliculata (i think thats how you spell it) they can grow to the size of a coke can! You can look them up. I don't think you can stop them eating your plants. Its the smaller types like pomacea diffusa that won't eat live plants. Www.applesnail.net is a good site ;)