Sign in to follow this  
cmclien

Need additional veggie suggestions

I feed my fish veggies in the morning followed by some veggies and saki hikari and omega one pellets in the evening (or bloodworms some days).

My oranda cannot tolerate green beans and peas as they make her float at the top so much her dorsal fin gets chapped. Because of this I mostly feed her zucchini and a little bit of seaweed in the morning which keeps her swimming and not floating. I am looking for other easy to make (microwave) veggies that won't cause her to float to the top.

Spinach and kale are two that I feed my fish and they do great on it.

By the way, I haven't seen you around that often, Cindi!!

Edited by sarajo

Kale can be boiled in the microwave.

So can spinach.

e... Sniped by Sarajo! :rofl

Edited by ChelseaM

Try clipping some raw red leaf lettuce to the glass. If you can do it midday, great. If not, clip it right before you go to work in the morning. It is very tender and doesn't need to be cooked. I believe it helps to clear out the morning pellet food so they are ready for more protein at night. This has really helped my Black Moor who used to float frequently.

I feed my fish frozen broccoli that I microwave or if I have fresh broccoli from a salad I'm making for myself. Either way, I microwave both. I don't know if this would help your fish but mine love it. :)

Spinach and kale are two that I feed my fish and they do great on it.

By the way, I haven't seen you around that often, Cindi!!

Hi SaraJo! I know, I got really busy with kids and spring break and doing my taxes, ugh. and catching up with stuff that I tend to ignore when I'm on here! lol

I have read more then I have posted these last few weeks. I am trying to pop on and off but not spend hours a day here :P

I feed my fish frozen broccoli that I microwave or if I have fresh broccoli from a salad I'm making for myself. Either way, I microwave both. I don't know if this would help your fish but mine love it. :)

I didn't know they could have broccoli. Its one of my favorite veggies so would be easy to have around for them. Do you feed them the little flower pieces or the stems? or both?

Try clipping some raw red leaf lettuce to the glass. If you can do it midday, great. If not, clip it right before you go to work in the morning. It is very tender and doesn't need to be cooked. I believe it helps to clear out the morning pellet food so they are ready for more protein at night. This has really helped my Black Moor who used to float frequently.

This is also a good idea and I didn't know it did not have to be cooked. The only problem is my big fantail is a pig and when I clip things he tends to eat it all himself and then not feel well. This happened with spinach and also with seaweed. I could always just give them little pieces through the day though as I'm not working right now.

Thanks for the ideas guys. My fish don't like spinach for some odd reason but I can try the kale too. Whenever I feed spinach, no matter how well I blanch it or cook it or not, they chew it a little while and spit it back out. This gives me some good options.

This is also a good idea and I didn't know it did not have to be cooked. The only problem is my big fantail is a pig and when I clip things he tends to eat it all himself and then not feel well. This happened with spinach and also with seaweed. I could always just give them little pieces through the day though as I'm not working right now.

My Moor is a total pig, too! He is the first one to the lettuce and he demolishes it. But, he hasn't floated since I started it. I also give them Repashy Solient Green which may also be helping bump up the veggie content in their diet. So it's soaked sinking pellets in the am, lettuce for lunch and either Repashy or Bloodworms for dinner. This is really working for my crew.

I dislike broccoli for the fish as it makes some of them floaty.

What works well is stuff like cucumber and yellow squash, kale, any other type of leafy greens, spinach, romaine lettuce, bell peppers (if they like them), tomatoes,...

Thanks for the suggestions.

I skipped the pellet food tonight and gave them a small mixture of peas, beans, lima beans, carrots and broccoli florets. I found the first 4 in one bag in the frozen section, also corn, but I didn't try it yet and added the broccoli separately. I am happy to say my floater is no longer floating and is swimming 1/3 of the way down the tank with the rest.

I will try the others too when I do my usual fresh produce shopping this week.

Edited by CindiL

You can also try Chinese bokchoi (上海白菜)/bai cai, available at all Asian stores for $0.70/lb. I microwave it in water for 1 minute and put it on a clip mid-tank. They really like going at it. I leave it in for a day or so. Some bits fall off and float around but most of it gets eaten. Only the leaf veins are left.