Plants not from a fish store

kaylaj2355

Hi all! I'm wondering if you have found good places to buy plants that aren't pet stores. The pet stores around here have AWFUL plants. We do have a lot of nurseries in town, though.

With proper decon procedures you can probably collect all manner of plants from local ponds, lakes, and streams. Especially for goldfish.

In Michigan we need to be careful of this, as there are a number of plants that it is illegal to pick, both land and water.

I'd try the water plant sections in those nurseries. Please, though, remember to dip and sterilize your plants even if they come from a nursery.

With proper decon procedures you can probably collect all manner of plants from local ponds, lakes, and streams. Especially for goldfish.

In Michigan we need to be careful of this, as there are a number of plants that it is illegal to pick, both land and water.

I'd try the water plant sections in those nurseries. Please, though, remember to dip and sterilize your plants even if they come from a nursery.

Thank you! Illegal to pick? I had no idea! I think I'll go check out a nursery. Do you perhaps have a link to a proper sterilization procedure?

http://www.kokosgold...our-plants-r262

Yep. It's illegal to pick a long list of plants here. Here is a list of a few of them. Cattails are also illegal to mess with, but aren't on that list.

Edited by ChelseaM

Cattails here we can mess with all we want. :o

In Michigan they are what keeps our lakes, ponds and such from getting bigger due to erosion. They also provide lots of habitat for our birds and waterfowl, as well as various other critters. :)

I am definitely, definitely guilty of picking cattails xD I got one each summer as a kid. -glances at cattail stuck in my office pothos-

Planted aquariums central online is my favorite place to buy plants :) My LFS has a very limited selection of plants so most of the plants I have bought come from PAC. I have bought from them probably 6-7x now and have been very happy every time with the timeliness of the order and quality/quantity of the plants. (many other member have bought from them as well)

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/Live-Aquarium-Plants_c6.htm

Thanks guys! I'll check online and also check out my local nursery :) I actually called them today and found out that soon, not only will they have pond plants, they carry fish. OMG.