Is Something Wrong With My Moor?

Hello,

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I recently finished cycling my tank, and I now have a couple of plants in it with a single black moor. The tank is a ten gallon, but the fish is about an inch and a half in size. I plan to move him into a larger (45 gal?) tank when he becomes too large. Anyway, he seems to be having issues. Every now and then, he retreats to the bottom of the tank and lies still (breathing, normally as I can tell). When I disturb him, he starts swimming again. He has white spots on his face and front fins, but I can't be sure if those are ich or tubercles...I can't seem to tell. Can anybody tell me what's wrong with him? If so, can you suggest a treatment and let me know if it's easy to treat, or not? Or, is there nothing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I tried to take a picture but my camera can't focus on him through the water/glass. :(

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there :)

In order for the mods to be able to help you they need you to fill out the below info. You may need to set your camera on a macro setting or step away from the glass to be able to focus past it. A video would be even better.

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video

Make sure to fill out the questions, you can post photos using photobucket and videos using youtube :)

When you say the fish is an inch and a half in size, is that including the tail or just the body length?

Welcome to the forum! Filling out the questions above will help us immensely. If you do not have your own test kit yet you can bring a sample of your tap water and a sample of your tank water to be tested for free at your local pet store :) Just bring a pen and paper and ask them to give you exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH for both your tap and tank water.

Let us know if you need assistance getting pictures posted. We will need as clear of pictures of the white spots as you can get :)

Make sure to fill out the questions, you can post photos using photobucket and videos using youtube :)

When you say the fish is an inch and a half in size, is that including the tail or just the body length?

Including tail. It seems to be pretty young.

Welcome to the forum! Filling out the questions above will help us immensely. If you do not have your own test kit yet you can bring a sample of your tap water and a sample of your tank water to be tested for free at your local pet store :) Just bring a pen and paper and ask them to give you exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH for both your tap and tank water.

Let us know if you need assistance getting pictures posted. We will need as clear of pictures of the white spots as you can get :)

It's pretty late, but I'll try to get some pictures uploaded tomorrow, and I will probably purchase my own testing kit by then as well. Is there a particular brand I should look at first?

Can you get the ammonia, ph, nitrates, and nitrites tested please :) once you answer those questions we can help you out more. Fill in what you can for now if you have to go to a pet shop tomorrow to get values just make sure to get the numbers written down like tithra said.

*API drop test kit. There is a freshwater master test kit that comes with everything and is cheaper to buy that way instead of individual tests.

Edited by ahardeay

It's pretty late, but I'll try to get some pictures uploaded tomorrow, and I will probably purchase my own testing kit by then as well. Is there a particular brand I should look at first?

perfect! :) I have to go to bed too :P

For the test kit you should get a drop test kit (not strips... the strips tend to be a little less accurate and they cost more in the long run even though the drop test kit will be a little more expensive up front. You get a lot more tests from the drop test kit than the strips, so in the end you save money) The API freshwater master test kit is an excellent one that comes with everything you need.

EDIT: lol, sniped by Lisa

Make sure to fill out the questions, you can post photos using photobucket and videos using youtube :) When you say the fish is an inch and a half in size, is that including the tail or just the body length?
Including tail. It seems to be pretty young.

Whoops! I meant not including tail. ell, I get a testing kit after school.

Update:

I know this is gross, but I'm sure this could be important.

His feces are long and clear, with little tiny brown sacs. Is that a bad sign? Like, I dunno, internal parasites? I did get him from a petsmart...

It could be stress. How's he eating?

Water test results and pictures are really needed to make a diagnosis. It's like a human with a sore throat. I could be allergic, bacterial or viral but until the doctor sees your throat and runs some test, he's not gonna start treating. :D

• Admin

Before we can help you we need the information at the top filled out... We CAN NOT HELP you till you do.. That is the rule.

Thank you for understanding.

Please, to everyone that keeps telling me to post answers, understand that I am at school eight hours a day and am not at home until around four. The answers to the questions will be up by the end of the day, I swear. I am going to pick up a water testing kit after school...thank you to everyone that has responded to my issue so quickly! I really appreciate the speed.

Please, to everyone that keeps telling me to post answers, understand that I am at school eight hours a day and am not at home until around four. The answers to the questions will be up by the end of the day, I swear. I am going to pick up a water testing kit after school...thank you to everyone that has responded to my issue so quickly! I really appreciate the speed.

No problem :) I totally understand. We just want to help and are unable to until we have that information. We'll watch for your post later today.

No problem :) I totally understand. We just want to help and are unable to until we have that information. We'll watch for your post later today.

Thanks, I will get on it as soon as possible. By the way, is there an effective way to tell a breeding tubercle from ich? I'm curious.

• Admin

:bingo:

The reason I say this is, it is truly impossible to help with out knowing things about your tank, water quality and other things listed in that list... It would be like walking into a doctors office and saying your sick and not letting the doctor know what is the problem... We dont want to hurt the fish and this is why we have this rule in place. Its not to be rude or mean its to protect us and the fish...

Please understand that, we understand it may be hard for you to, but we cant help with out you helping us to help you.

koko

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/articles/breeding-tubercles-functions-regulation-r478

No white dots on body; yay! Also, when I got him at the pet stores, he was nipping what I'm eighty percent sure were females. I realize thats not a reliable factor, but I think the combined evidence is enough. The testing kit is on its way to the house.

whoops, I meant pet store..

Ugh. The pet store was out of the testing kit. When I can get a ride, I'll go to a different one. However, I can still answer a few of those questions at the top of the page:

Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? n/a
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? top fin 10
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Goldfish Protectant (removes chlorine, chloramines, and ammonia)
  • * Water temperature? 59-68 and sometimes a little cooler (degrees F)
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once every two days 10-20%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Just got the fish:), changing 10% today
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon, fully cycled over two weeks.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 black moor, and 1.5 inches
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Aqueon Goldfish flakes, frozen peas as treats. Flakes, 2 times a day. Frozen peas, once and a while..
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Nope. Just the moor. Unless of course, you want to count him.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No.
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) n/a
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Staying at bottom for short periods of time then behaving normally.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. --new tank. No treatments
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.---will do!

Edited by Thawthorne09

Thanks so much for filling out what you could :)

When you take your water samples, will you please make sure to take a sample of both tap and tank water to be tested (can't remember if I already said this or not)

When you say you fully cycled the tank for 2 weeks, can you describe what you did to cycle it? (did you just run the tank empty, did you add ammonia or anything else to the tank etc.)

EDIT: also, how long have you had the moor?

Thanks so much for filling out what you could :)

When you take your water samples, will you please make sure to take a sample of both tap and tank water to be tested (can't remember if I already said this or not)

When you say you fully cycled the tank for 2 weeks, can you describe what you did to cycle it? (did you just run the tank empty, did you add ammonia or anything else to the tank etc.)

EDIT: also, how long have you had the moor?

I've had the moor for two days, and I cycled the tank after adding some kind of beneficial bacteria starter--no ammonia. My dad used to keep angelfish, and we keep butting heads over how to do things, lol. I keep trying to explain how different they are..but...you know. Anyway, he's not the one paying for the fish OR caring for it...sorry, that was a little rant...

Oh! And I'll be sure to test the tap as well as the tank water.

Edited by Thawthorne09