Sign in to follow this  
Heidi_Rayanne

Dusty plumes of Pro-Gold

This is something that I've long wondered. I let my pellets soak for about 5 min in a tiny amount of water then I attempt to pick up the squishy pieces and give them to my "starving" fish. The moment the pellet hits the water it releases a cloud of tinier particles that float about in my water. Is this the average experience?

It may be how much they're soaked. They are kinda disintegrating by five minutes.

It may be how much they're soaked. They are kinda disintegrating by five minutes.

Oh, I thought I was supposed to soak until they weren't any hard bits. How long do you soak your pellets for?

I'm actually one of the ones that don't soak progold. I haven't found a difference in how much my Ryukin would float either way, just a difference in how she floats when I feed vs overfeed.

I think soaking is a fine idea, but I also think it's still alright if they're a little crunchy. I don't see how a disintegrating pellet would be good though, for water parameters or fish that just can't get to them and keep hitting the wrong spots with open mouths.

I soak for maybe less the a minute. I just hold them in my hand and have my hand in the tank.

I don't soak either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I soak for maybe less the a minute. I just hold them in my hand and have my hand in the tank.

This is also what I do, but I was lurking around today looking for info because I noticed that when my oranda was chewing on a pellet, little poofs of pellet dust were coming out of his GILLS. Freaked me out. Is this normal, anyone?

I've seen little poofs of pellets coming out of gills. :D

I think soaking for 30ish seconds is long enough. You just want the pellets to absorb water so there isn't a lot of air in them. They don't need to be mushy. :feedme

I dont soak :)

I thought that one of the benefits of ProGold is that you don't have to soak? I never have.

I don't soak my progold, but if you do I wouldn't soak any more than 30 seconds at most. It is a pretty soft food to begin with ;)

Is progold available in the uk ?

unfortunately no. Goldfishconnection only ships in the US

Darn !

My mum always says I sound American because I say pantyhose instead of tights and gallons instead of litres and stuff ! I just nod and we both say kokos together lol !

Thanks anyways !

Darn !

My mum always says I sound American because I say pantyhose instead of tights and gallons instead of litres and stuff ! I just nod and we both say kokos together lol !

Thanks anyways !

lol

I only soak mine for a few seconds. Enough to wet the pellets, and make them soak. :)

Well dinner was not soaked and they seemed happier to gather them up off the ground rather than filter feeding from the water. I think I'll change to that then.

I don't soak my Pro-Gold anymore, since my current fish are all OK with the pellets. When I did soak, it was for 30s max. :)

The only time I have soaked food was when I had a fish with mouth problems fromm flukes, so unless it is special circumstances I don't soak mine.