Sign in to follow this  
tayjay76

Omega one flake food question

I currently feed my goldfish wardley flakes, pro-gold pellets, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and peas. I feed them one or the other every other day, I always feed flakes when I get up though. I have head that flakes are bad for them because they float. However, I sink my flakes for the fish, so they don't have to go to the top to eat the flakes, they just float around inside the water where the goldfish eat them as they come by them.

I have heard that omega one makes descent food, would these flakes be better than the wardley kind?

I currently feed my goldfish wardley flakes, pro-gold pellets, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and peas. I feed them one or the other every other day, I always feed flakes when I get up though. I have head that flakes are bad for them because they float. However, I sink my flakes for the fish, so they don't have to go to the top to eat the flakes, they just float around inside the water where the goldfish eat them as they come by them.

I have heard that omega one makes descent food, would these flakes be better than the wardley kind?

I fed mine pro gold but my one Ryukin can't handle it so I switched back to my omega 1 small sinking pellets and I find them as a good food :). My fish love them too!

I would avoid feeding flakes, because they can encourage gulping and other issues. Pellets, gel food, veggies, and frozen foods are all good options. :)

Omega does make some great pellet foods. :)

Ya, only problem is that every time I feed any pellet food daily, I get really cloudy water. Wouldn't making the flakes sink not hurt them?

If you take care to make the flakes sink, that alleviates part of the problem, definitely.

I don't understand why you would get cloudiness by feeding pellets. I've never really had this issue.

I don't know why either, from what I see, if i feed them pellets daily, the water gets cloudy, stop feeding the pellets daily, the water stays clear. What other problems would feeding flakes cause since I sink them?

To be honest, the other issues are controllable:

- there are concerns that because flakes are thin, they easily leach out vitamins and contents in the water, at least more so than pellets

- calculating the correct amount

But the biggest is that floating anything can encourage gulping, and that's not a desirable thing.

Ya, only problem is that every time I feed any pellet food daily, I get really cloudy water. Wouldn't making the flakes sink not hurt them?

How much pellet food were you feeding?

Pellet food is denser so you may have been feeding more than when you fed flakes, then leading to more poop. More poop could lead to a spike in water quality issues and lead to cloudy water. It may also be the kind of pellets you fed.

How big is the tank?

What filters do you have?

I have a canister filter, and a few small to medium HOB filters. It is a 55 gallon tank, and I feed pro-god.

I think I'm the only one here who totally does not believe flakes are inferior food. And I am quite certain they have less surface area exposed to the water than pellets of the same mass.

I always keep Omega One flakes on hand for babies or sick fish who find even tiny pellets too hard to eat. However, the flake food costs 5 times or more what the same brand of pellets cost, so I wouldn't use it for daily food. Have you used the Omega One small pellets?

Shakaho, I don't know that I believe about the nutrient leeching idea, but let's say we believe that, I don't see how the same mass of flakes would have less surface area. It would much more.

My opinion regarding flakes in an indoor setting is that the main concern is more about gulping etc. If you take care to sink the flakes, I think they are not as problematic.

OK Alex, consider a piece of ceramic biomedia vs. the same mass of the same material as a flat sheet. Which has more surface area? A flake is a smooth, shiny, flat sheet. A pellet is like a little sponge. A wet flake gets soft. A wet pellet swells to about 4x the volume of a dry one.

I was puzzled by the fact that if you compare flakes and pellets of the same brand, the flakes are higher in protein. Then I go, "Dummy! You know how to cook. To roll out something super thin, you need elasticity, and you provide that with protein." I expect the extra protein is all gluten, which provides that elasticity.

Of course, I can give an opposite case. Compare the surface area of pea gravel and lava rock used as pond filter media. Obviously the highly porous lava rock has more surface area. That's totally true when it is new. However, in slow-flow pond filters, the pores of the lava rock clog with time, so the nitrifying bacteria are limited to the outside of the lava rock, which has less surface area than the same volume of pea gravel. Now if you take the same rocks and put them in a high-flow aquarium filter or in a moving bed pond filter, the pores don't clog so the lava rock has more surface area. I think -- most people believe -- well, probably -- errr -- maybe?.

Sorry, Alex, I couldn't help myself. Consider what my unfortunate son has gone through from birth. He seems to be OK.

I've never had a fish that gulped, so I can't give you any trouble about that.

I understand where you are coming from, and while you may be right, I am still not sure because the same weight of flakes put together is quite a lot of surface, and these flakes too would be comprised of these micropores as would the pellets.

In any case, as I said before, this isn't something I have a personal belief in. Some people actually think this, and in the absence of actually being able to think of negating conclusions otherwise, I just leave it there as a possibility.

In the end, it's the gulping that is the issue, and if you can feed flakes without encouraging this, I have no objection. It's more the case if you are feeding flakes an your fish are gulping, then I would recommend cutting out flakes to see if that would help. :)

Would you like my unopened bin of seafood flakes from goldfish connection? :)

I would avoid feeding flakes, because they can encourage gulping and other issues. Pellets, gel food, veggies, and frozen foods are all good options. :)

Omega does make some great pellet foods. :)

Kind of butting in here, but it is on the same subject :)

Alex, I do plan on getting gel and frozen food when the time comes, but what do you think of the "crisps" or "discs?" That's what I had always used. Gulping and the possibility of the fish eating air that was in them always concerned me, so I would soak the disc and then break it into pieces, and drop one or two in at at time until they were eaten.

Just curious, for me this kind of food seems to be in the middle of the road as far as categorizing it as a flake or pellet.

Those discs are essentially big pellets :)

Oh! Good to know :)

EDIT: Wait! Derp. I wasn't clear. They're not so much like algae wafers like you give to plecos. You're right, those are pretty much massive pellets!

I took a picture of the food I was using. I guess they are more like flakes, although a bit more dense. They don't crumble nearly as easily as normal flakes do.

20130410_125136.jpg

Edited by jenzaar

Thanks for clarifying it.

I think that as long as you soak and take care not to encourage surface gulping, there should not be any concerns :)

Okay, haha now THAT is good to know!

I don't know why, I've always been more comfortable with these one than with pellets, but who knows. I look through the lists of what types of pellet food people give their fish and I ooh and ahh like I'm in a pastry shop :P

EDIT: Wait! Derp. I wasn't clear. They're not so much like algae wafers like you give to plecos. You're right, those are pretty much massive pellets!

I took a picture of the food I was using. I guess they are more like flakes, although a bit more dense. They don't crumble nearly as easily as normal flakes do.

20130410_125136.jpg

But is it ok to give them the Algae wafers then?The green disc ones usually fed to bottom feeders?

Blubx3, I think quite a few people here do use those algae wafers. They are essentially pellets. :)

20130410_125136.jpg

My fish seem to like the crisps better then the pellets i feed.

My fish seem to like the crisps better then the pellets i feed.

I've honestly never fed pellets before, but I was a fan of the crisps myself :)