plant alternatives?

katearei

I've been seeing a lot of posts about being upset because the fish are eating all the plants in the tanks like little monsters. I have a few plants in my tank and one of my ladies ziggy likes to munch them. When I go to the pet store I always see they have lettuce leaves hanging in the tank and I wonder if you provide them with things like that on a daily basis that you actually want them to eatif tthey'll leave the plants alone. Just a thought that popped in my head (;

I wish.. even if they are overfed they will continue to munch as this is what they would do in the wild. But if you really want real plants in there then you could test other plants that might work there are many articles on the site that offer tips on planted goldfish tanks :)

I actually began giving my fish leafy greens a few months ago and they leave my plants mostly alone now! Perhaps my guys are just easily distracted, though :P

When I first put plants in the tank it took them a while to figure out they could eat them (; I tricked them for a while. It was planted with fake plants and one by one I slowly switched them out but they're not dumb haha they figured it out

I'm doing a combination of live and plastic plants. I found a nice real-looking plastic Anacharis and then have a couple of live Anubias. Ialso give them lettuce daily to munch on.

I second anubias! My fish haven't touched them even once! It'd be worth a try :)

Mine, unfortunately, ate my anubias and java ferns as well as my dwarf lilies. Now, though, that I have my giant lily I hope they won't tear it to shreds before it can grow new leaves. I'd suggest to anyone to get large plants in the beginning so it will at least give them a chance.

I guess it really depends on their personalities on whether or not an alternative would work. I thought that they tended not to like the taste of the anubias I guess your fish aren't too picky (;

I guess it really must depend on the fish! I had a moss ball (still seen in my profile picture with Merlin) for ages before I got my ryukin Mike Doyle, and within a week of getting him, that moss ball was torn UP. Merlin couldn't have cared less about it, but Mike was obviously obsessed!

You could try different types of plants. Mine have yet to eat on my plants. But expect someday for my water wisteria to become food. Because it is a soft plant. My my swords might be ok if they are big enough by them.

• 2 weeks later...