Sign in to follow this  
schoolie

ProGold Large Pellets

I've been feeding the Pro Gold large-pellet food to my goldfish for the past week, and I really like it. These "pellets" are actually shaped more like kibble for a rabbit, and are significantly larger than the regular Pro Gold. One gram is approximately 15 pieces (or 72 pieces is five grams, on my lousy scale). For large fish I think this food is much less messy and I don't see those tiny particles of food floating around, after feeding time. I'll measure the diameter of a pellet and add this info to this thread. The web site says 1/8" but the shape is also more of a cube than a cylinder.

I've been looking at those. How big are your fish? My George is a bruiser (6") but Goldie is more like 3.5" and I would need to be sure they could both eat it, or what would be the point?

Do you have any small Pro-Gold left? I'd like to see them side by side if possible.

I accidentally got a piece of large PG in my bag of small PG and it really is huge! It would make feeding time much shorter. I may get a bag of that for my larger fish to make sure they have full mouths before feeding my smaller one.n

Do you have any small Pro-Gold left? I'd like to see them side by side if possible.

Sure, I'll take a picture of both tonight!

I've been looking at those. How big are your fish? My George is a bruiser (6") but Goldie is more like 3.5" and I would need to be sure they could both eat it, or what would be the point?

My fish is around 6" not counting tail. I think this size would only work well for larger fancies and koi.

Mmm. . . that's a good point. Although George eats so fast I'm not sure it would slow him down that much! I scatter food very slowly all over and make sure Goldie gets enough, but it's not easy!

I accidentally got a piece of large PG in my bag of small PG and it really is huge! It would make feeding time much shorter. I may get a bag of that for my larger fish to make sure they have full mouths before feeding my smaller one.n

That's a good idea. Maybe, with mixed sizes, everybody would get a good meal.

Oh, nice! Thank you for the pic! I am thinking I like the looks of the large pellets much better! I will order that next. :)

Mmm. They're not THAT much bigger. I might get a small bag next time I order and see what everyone thinks! :)

Mmm. They're not THAT much bigger. I might get a small bag next time I order and see what everyone thinks!

There are approximately 40 pellets in a gram for the smaller Pro-Gold pellets, compared to 15 for these larger ones. So, by mass they large Pro-Gold pellets are almost 3 times bigger. That's a HUGE difference when you consider the mouths of the goldfish.

I definitely think these are great, but are most suitable for koi and larger goldies. :)

This is a side-by-side comparison:

IMG_4427.JPG

Awesome post :)