Sign in to follow this  
I-Goldfish

Fasting day

Hi,

So i my fish are usually fed everyday soilent green repashy . Last night I thought it may be a good idea to fast them to get everything out of there systems . They are not used to having a day without food . I noticed today ( even after 80% water change) that they are all (especially Specky ) acting not as lively as usual , say a bit lethargic ? Is this normal , I just fed them half of a days feed and they went super super crazy for it and I will give them the rest later . Could this be why or is it not something hat would happen .

Thanks

I-goldfish x

This might be because you didn't feed them. If you started doing this once a week they'd probably get used to eat and just act normally. Maybe next time you could just feed them a pea!

This might be because you didn't feed them. If you started doing this once a week they'd probably get used to eat and just act normally. Maybe next time you could just feed them a pea!

yeah i thought it was that but also wondered if anyone else has experienced this ?

also i am not planning to do this every week as i dont believe you need to every week !

I've had my goldfish for almost a year and I have fasted them in the past due to a topic on Koko's that I read. (I joined this site back in Oct.) I did it once a week for maybe a month or two. Then I believe I had read where some members weren't fasting there fish anymore. I personally stopped. I try to remember to give my goldfish peas once a week to every ten days or so for one day. Then the following day I go back to their regular food. Right now I have been feeding my goldfish only peas for the past two days because I was having a "goldfish poop" problem. They seem fine for only eating peas for the past two days. I don't notice a difference in how my fish are acting. They are swimming all over in their tank. When they see me, Do they beg for food? Heck yea! They aren't starving. So I just smile and tell them,... not now. :) I have noticed in one of my tanks where I was having the poop problem it is much better. (so thank you for those that helped me w/my problem)

Personally, I have replaced fasting day with veggie day. It has helped keep my fish a lot more regular than fasting, and doesn't put a strain on my floaty Ryukin, who would float once fed after fasting.

Veggie day sound good, you can mix it up with different veg. I haven't the heart to not feed them all day. I would go with green beans before peas.

I've had my goldfish for almost a year and I have fasted them in the past due to a topic on Koko's that I read. (I joined this site back in Oct.) I did it once a week for maybe a month or two. Then I believe I had read where some members weren't fasting there fish anymore. I personally stopped. I try to remember to give my goldfish peas once a week to every ten days or so for one day. Then the following day I go back to their regular food. Right now I have been feeding my goldfish only peas for the past two days because I was having a "goldfish poop" problem. They seem fine for only eating peas for the past two days. I don't notice a difference in how my fish are acting. They are swimming all over in their tank. When they see me, Do they beg for food? Heck yea! They aren't starving. So I just smile and tell them,... not now. :) I have noticed in one of my tanks where I was having the poop problem it is much better. (so thank you for those that helped me w/my problem)

Thanks

Personally, I have replaced fasting day with veggie day. It has helped keep my fish a lot more regular than fasting, and doesn't put a strain on my floaty Ryukin, who would float once fed after fasting.

Yep I don't usually do fasting day either and I'm not gonna start , veggie day sounds good

Veggie day sound good, you can mix it up with different veg. I haven't the heart to not feed them all day. I would go with green beans before peas.

Yep imma do veg day a day before waterchange !

Huh :idea ! What a great idea. I never thought of a veggie day. SMEGY: You say, Green beans. You just take out the bean out of the peel right then feed the fish? What's the difference from a pea or a green bean?

Huh :idea ! What a great idea. I never thought of a veggie day. SMEGY: You say, Green beans. You just take out the bean out of the peel right then feed the fish? What's the difference from a pea or a green bean?

From what I understand green beans seem to work better. I just chop em up and drop em in.

Mine love those green beans. I also just chop them right up into bite sized hunks and feed that way. Or I boil kale, green beans, and spinach down until it's disintegrating and use the mush and now-green water to make repashy. Talk about a laxative!

I'm a big fan of veggie day too. Sometimes I will do veggies only for 36 hours. It seems to really get everyone back on track. I don't have the heart to fast and I think sometimes having more of the right food moves things along better.

In nature goldfish eat almost nonstop when they aren't sleeping. Since their usual food is algae and decomposed vegetative material with an occasional bug or worm, they eat little at a time, but they are always eating.

Suppose your fish eats a few highly concentrated pellets each morning and then goes without food until the next morning. This is much like if you decide to eat one meal every other day, but get that meal at an all-you-can-eat buffet. You will get all the nutrients you need, but except for the indigestion after your big meal, you will be hungry all the time.

Soilent Green is very similar to a natural diet for a goldfish, so if you feed a little of this multiple times a day you are coming close to the way goldfish are designed to eat. Even twice a day is better than one big meal and then fasting for 24 hours before the next day's meal.

When I first come on this forum I was shocked that people were fasting their goldfish in their sparkling clean tanks that didn't even have algae to nibble on. I am happy that current recommendations are to feed as many times per day as your schedule allows (a little at a time), to feed veggies if you want to give your fish more, and to not fast completely unless it is for treating a digestive disorder. I'm sure the goldfish are even happier.