Floating Plant Net! :)

yafashelli

About the DIY pond net-- Are the PVC pipes needed if I find foam tubes of appropriate size? I'm afraid of expandable foam, haha. Would sealed airline tubing work too? I suppose it wouldn't have as much structural support, though.

Can you recommend some DIY nets for say a 20 gal?

Get some pvc pipes and some elbows, fill the straight runs with expandable foam (so they float), let them cure. when they've done so, cement all your pieces together, so make the shape and size that you want, then sew on some screen. Voila. ;) Th

That's really all this net is. A floating pool noodle with some screen. Lol!

Very good Yafa. I'm sloppier than you. I just stuck the pvc in the elbows (no filling, no glue) and sewed on the screen. It's been in use for a couple of years and floats fine.

Another thing you can use for the "frame" is ~ 1/2" vinyl tubing -- from pond, irrigation, or plumbing areas. Cut the tube the length you want to make a circle. Heat one end of the tube in hot water for a minute or so, then push the cold end into the softened and expanded hot end. It will cool into an airtight ring that you can sew screening onto. You can also use nylon net from the fabric department at Walmart. It's not as durable as screen, but it's easier to sew.

Get some pvc pipes and some elbows, fill the straight runs with expandable foam (so they float), let them cure. when they've done so, cement all your pieces together, so make the shape and size that you want, then sew on some screen. Voila. ;) Th

Very good Yafa. I'm sloppier than you. I just stuck the pvc in the elbows (no filling, no glue) and sewed on the screen. It's been in use for a couple of years and floats fine.

Another thing you can use for the "frame" is ~ 1/2" vinyl tubing -- from pond, irrigation, or plumbing areas. Cut the tube the length you want to make a circle. Heat one end of the tube in hot water for a minute or so, then push the cold end into the softened and expanded hot end. It will cool into an airtight ring that you can sew screening onto. You can also use nylon net from the fabric department at Walmart. It's not as durable as screen, but it's easier to sew.

My betta is just a serial killer of shrimp not plants...I think they would be safe with him!

And here I thought betta fish were supposed to be angels! Lol! Good to hear not all of them are perfect. ;)

About the DIY pond net-- Are the PVC pipes needed if I find foam tubes of appropriate size? I'm afraid of expandable foam, haha. Would sealed airline tubing work too? I suppose it wouldn't have as much structural support, though.

You'd just have to make sure that the foam you're putting in is tank safe, I'd imagine. When I say the foam in my Dr F&S net is a pool noodle, I mean it! It looks like they took pipe insulation and wrapped a net around it. If I had seen this in a store, instead of having to order it online, I'd have totally made it on my own. You may be able to use pvc without the foam, but I'm not sure if water wouldn't eventually get in, and sink your net. I haven't tried it with pvc yet, but if I upgrade my tank, I'll have too, because I'll sacrifice tank depth, and this net will be too big.

If I do diy the next round, I'll let you guys know. ;)

I thought about using vinyl tubing, but for a first try, this seemed to be okay. Now that I see how it's made, I could totally make this on my own. I'd like to up my clowns to a 60g, so I'll lose a lot of tank depth doing so. If that ever happens, I'd make one out of PVC to nest nicely into the tank. :)

If you just used pvc w/o cementing, have you noticed leakage over time? I'm concerned that it'd eventually sink, and then I'd have fish in my net, and no plants. Lol! My monsters.

Pvc fits beautifully into it's fittings. It doesn't leak, so if you want a pvc structure to sit on the bottom of the tank/pond, you have to drill holes in the pipe. No, absolutely no leakage in two years. I don't glue pvc at all unless I have a fitting that's under a lot of pressure. In all of my pond and filter plumbing I think I have two glued joints.

Pvc fits beautifully into it's fittings. It doesn't leak, so if you want a pvc structure to sit on the bottom of the tank/pond, you have to drill holes in the pipe. No, absolutely no leakage in two years. I don't glue pvc at all unless I have a fitting that's under a lot of pressure. In all of my pond and filter plumbing I think I have two glued joints.

That's awesome, and makes life so much easier. You're the greatest. :D

Wow, this is great! I'm excited to go to the hardware store. Going to get some vinyl tubing and some netting soon after. Can you get netting from hardware stores too? I prefer something with bigger holes than nylon.

Yafa, I'm curious as to what your lighting is for floating plants. What's your wattage and wattage per gallon?

I have a quad t5 strip, but only use two lights at a time. Floating plants are going to be so close to your light source that almost any light will be good. I think you'll probably need to run a mostly open topped tank for floaters. Not sure on that bit though, but I think the humidity makes floaters cry.

You can probably get screen from the hardware store, but I don't know about netting.

Haha, I have water lettuce too but was wondering if I could go to a lower (cheaper!) light setting when I plant my smaller 20gal tank. I have one small shelf in the middle of my open top 40gal and that's where my water lettuce is big and healthy and presumably more humid. The dry sides don't do as well for me.

Thanks for all the help :D

Edited by soupmonster

That's been my whole plan all along. So far, it's mostly worked out.

I have to sort out a diatom explosion that I'm having right now, before my plants turn into one. I'm surprised the FISH haven't turned brown. Lol

The floaters are doing great! Typically, I do two 75% w/c's a week, and by w/c day the nitrAte levels are somewhere between 20-40 ppm. With the purigen in the tank, the numbers are only marginally better. Since putting the floaters in, and letting them multiply, my nitrates are down to 10, and I haven't changed the water since Saturday. There's no Purigen in there right now, either, so that's really saying something. :) The only thing different in the tank would be the floaters, so it has to be them. Whatever it is, I don't care. The fish are happy, I'm happy, and the water quality is improved. I'll take it. :)

The water lettuce is doing better than the red root floaters, and is definitely more low maintenance. I think everyone should try out the lettuce at least once. :heart

Edited by yafashelli