Floating Plant Net! :)

yafashelli

Pictures! Pardon all the melty anacharis. It melted when I bleached it, but it's starting to come back nicely. :)

100_5301_zps4648903c.jpg

100_5300_zpsa3e1b2af.jpg

Above is a top view. They still manage to sneak some of the java moss out of the screen--they're such bad little fish. Lol!

100_5308_zps67cbdaa4.jpg

Closeups of my floaters. I have red root floaters (if you look closely, they're starting to flower!), little water lettuce, and duckweed.

100_5307_zps280e48d1.jpg

The net for the sword didn't work out so well. It was harboring lots of gunk beneath it, so I pulled it out. I may use it as a temporary cage when the plant is really doing badly, and needs a time out. Keeping it in long term doesn't seem feasible though.

I'd recommend the floating net for anyone, provided you have a big enough tank to keep it. :) It's squishy, so I squished mine to fit. I'd imagine, however, that it'd be a tough squeeze, unless you had a tank that was at least 18" deep. A 40 breeder, or a 75g, for example. If you have a smaller tank, you could DIY your own. I may do this myself, seeing how simple the design is. :)

What do you think?

Pretty! :D

Thank you! :)

Awesome! :)

Thank you! :)

I love floaty plants!!!! Your plants look awesome! Ya ever get too much water lettuce let me know.

:) Did you have water lettuce in your tub? It's doing really well here, so when it comes time to thin out I'll share. :)

I love floaty plants!!!! Your plants look awesome! Ya ever get too much water lettuce let me know.

plant ninja :lol

lol!

What are the bigger leafy ones in the third & forth pictures. I like them all but I REALLY like them!!!

mini water lettuce looks like this:

KGrHqNHJEYFCbi8NO5MBQwkJrsU2w60_12.jpg

red root floaters look like this:

11j6ob7.jpg

So, which plant was it? :)

Edited by yafashelli

:rofl You are so mean! :rofl

Good idea. :teehee I bet your fish aren't too happy with their new present though. :rofl

They still suck the roots out of the netting and have their nibbles that way. The java moss too! LoL! No stopping my monsters. No-sir-ee

Have you tried feeding them? They look a little underfed. . .

:rofl

They always look underfed. :tomuch:

THis is a great idea! Where did you get this?

The net came from Dr F & S, in the pond section. The plants came from Ebay. The person I bought them from doesn't have anymore right now, but his seller name is "aquaticsbest". He's pretty new feedback wise, but the plants came in great shape. :)

What a clever idea! :)

;) Thanks.

Where'd you get it!

The net is from Dr F & S

Let's hope that the fish don't come up with a way to get in there :rofl

I love the red root floaters, they are so pretty! Where did you get those?

I couldn't pass them up because they were so pretty!! :) I paid a dollar for the plants, and six dollars to ship. Got a really nice sized portion too, so be on the lookout. Ebay. The person I bought them from doesn't have anymore right now, but his seller name is "aquaticsbest". He's pretty new feedback wise, but the plants came in great shape. :)

That is great!

Those red root floaters look awesome!

Maybe I'll have to get some soon!

Have you noticed a difference in your nitrates since you are able to actually keep and grow the floaters?

That is great!

Those red root floaters look awesome!

Maybe I'll have to get some soon!

Have you noticed a difference in your nitrates since you are able to actually keep and grow the floaters?

I'm currently treating for flukes, so with all the water changes, it's been hard to tell.

If you hang in there a few weeks, I'll send you some. You'll have to make a safety net for the plants though. The pigs'll gobble them up. :o

What a brilliant idea, Yafa. :)

I must say, when it comes to plant preservation in a goldfish tank, you come up with some ingenious solutions.

I've never seen this idea before, and I think it's genius!

Does it help with keeping the floaters from spinning/drifting around too much in the filter's outtake current?

Can you recommend some DIY nets for say a 20 gal?

I can always place them in my other tank that doesnt have plant eating monsters in it....lol.

Are there fish that aren't monsters? lol! Does such creature exist?!?!

What a brilliant idea, Yafa. :)

I must say, when it comes to plant preservation in a goldfish tank, you come up with some ingenious solutions.

Lol Its absolute desperation! My husband yells when I buy the plants, and then yells when the fish eat them. I just want a little quiet around here! :rofl

I've never seen this idea before, and I think it's genius!

Does it help with keeping the floaters from spinning/drifting around too much in the filter's outtake current?

Can you recommend some DIY nets for say a 20 gal?

Get some pvc pipes and some elbows, fill the straight runs with expandable foam (so they float), let them cure. when they've done so, cement all your pieces together, so make the shape and size that you want, then sew on some screen. Voila. ;) Th

That's really all this net is. A floating pool noodle with some screen. Lol!