Sign in to follow this  
crabs

Think I found a crack :(

I was taking a photo when i came across this crack. its about a inch long. I can only see it through the side of the tank. and when i run my hand over it i can feel it like a scratch on the inside .what should I do ?

crack_zps708c48e1.jpg

Can you try to ascertain if it's a scratch or a crack?

You can get aquarium sealant and seal it up. It might take a little while to cure/bond (about 12-48 hours), but you can "QT" your fish for that time. :)

(If it turns out to be a crack ;) )

Edited by Moucho+Moncho

I wont know for sure if its a crack till I take all the water out as its quite low down. the tank has quite a few scratches being old. but only this one looks black through the water ?

I wont know for sure if its a crack till I take all the water out as its quite low down. the tank has quite a few scratches being old. but only this one looks black through the water ?

Ok, make sure that you find out if it is a crack ASAP, because if it is, the water pressure can cause it to widen and leak.:)

I have Ordered some silicone repair , wlll drain the water out in the morning and have a good look

Good Grief!!!! Sure hope it's NOT A CRACK!! :thud

i recommend you get some plaster tape and reinforce it from the outside whilst you arrange temporary placement for your fish. large food safe tubs can be used for temporary homes.

here is one that a member set up for his own fish, very simple and a great second home..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RagCCJP0yI

Right i decided to drain the water and have a look. but now i cant find it ???? i cant see anything. i cant even feel where it was. :unsure: :idont

Had a better look with a torch. it seems to be either a deep scratch or a hair line crack. Also found another on the front. so im going to waite for the silicone to come and will treat both just to be on the safe side

Edited by crabs

Had a better look with a torch. it seems to be either a deep scratch or a hair line crack. Also found another on the front. so im going to waite for the silicone to come and will treat both just to be on the safe side

Ok that will be fine. Make sure to treat the INSIDE only. :)

yes the scratches are only on the inside. I dont think they are cracks just deep scratches .the outside glass is fine

Your silicone is coming in the mail? You can find it in hardware stores like The Home Depot. :)

I cant go out or i will miss my delivery of more sand lol

Oh nooo! I'm hope you get it sorted out soon!!

Moved the Danios out today in to a small tank. just waiting for the silicone to come so i can cover the deep scratches . have added the second lot of sand. All this has set back my cycling .which is very very frustrating . :tantrum :mad:

oh no :( hope you get it all sorted out asap ;)

I think I am over overreacting but im going to air on the side of caution. Tomorrow I am going to get a Windshield Repair Kit and use it on any scratches that worry me. then i will silicone them. wait two days and start my set up again

Used the windscreen kit on it today. Don't know it its helped but the scratches do look a bit better. think they where not deep enough really. tank now stinks of the stuff. will put the silicon on tomorrow. that's about all i can do ,so should be ok . will then need to fill it up and run it for a day then do a water change to make sure there's no toxins in there. I wish i didn't worry about things so much