Sign in to follow this  
Lieutenant Shiny Sides

Best filter for 200 litre tank?

I am going to buy a 200 litre (52.8 US gallon, 43.9 imperial gallon) tank and was wondering if anyone has recommendations of filters to use. I have looked at aquariums on the internet that come with a filter but they all seem too small or not powerfull enough. I do like the look of these bio filters. I need something thats not too obtrusive or loud as the tank is in my living room. Thanks you.

My very favorite filter (I have THREE) is the Aquaclear 110!! I have 2 running on my 90 gallon tank & 1 on my 29 gallon tank. It would be plenty of filtration for your 58 gallon tank. They are easy to maintain! And do an excellant job of keeping the tanks clean! As far as noise..both of the tank I mentioned are in my living room as well...you really do not hear the filters...you DO hear the water noises: water pouring back into the tank...easily reduced by raising the water level in your tank...AND I have lots of bubbling items in my tanks! The noise doesn't disturb us watching television or anything...............OR we are use to it...who knows!

By the way I have had my filters for YEARS! If one broke ( :krazy: ) I would get another.

My very favorite filter (I have THREE) is the Aquaclear 110!! I have 2 running on my 90 gallon tank & 1 on my 29 gallon tank. It would be plenty of filtration for your 58 gallon tank. They are easy to maintain! And do an excellant job of keeping the tanks clean! As far as noise..both of the tank I mentioned are in my living room as well...you really do not hear the filters...you DO hear the water noises: water pouring back into the tank...easily reduced by raising the water level in your tank...AND I have lots of bubbling items in my tanks! The noise doesn't disturb us watching television or anything...............OR we are use to it...who knows!

By the way I have had my filters for YEARS! If one broke ( :krazy: ) I would get another.

Agreed! You could go with something like the Aquaclear 110 or 2-3 Aquaclear 50's or 2 Aquaclear 70's.

Allpondsolutions on E-bay UK do great canister filters one for your tank would cost about £60

I have the1400+ model it includes a built in UV steriliser and is practically silent it comes with all media included.

I run two in a similar size tank. I think that it improves the water flow through the tank.

I too prefer Aquaclear filters. I have a AC70 and an AC50 on a 40G turtle tank, way over filtered but I prefer it this way.

The advantage of the Aquaclear line is that you have a large space for filter material and you can mix and match your filter material to your preference. For example I do not use carbon in my filter and opt to replace it with extra biomedia. You can also add filter floss/polyester fiberfill to the filter. The rough sponge that comes with the AC filter is very high quality and lasts for a long time. You simply rinse it in dirty tank water in order to preserve the beneficial bacteria. When you buy ensure you get the ceramic biomedia in the kit, as some have come with ammonia remover instead.

I find the ACs are very quiet. If you hear noise, with a quick right hand twist you can remove the motor, then the impeller, and easily clean both. Over many years the ACs do get a bit noisier. I think it is the magnetic impeller that gets worn down, so it becomes looser with time and then rattles, but these impellers are easily replaced. For the money, the AC line offers high value. The AC line is so popular that many are available used on Kijiji, Craigslist, Gumtree or other online used web site. This is where I get most of mine, used, and they continue to run well after a thorough cleaning.

Sorry to say.. But AquaClear power filters are not available in the UK.. so I would recommend an Eheim

Sorry to say.. But AquaClear power filters are not available in the UK.. so I would recommend an Eheim

Yeah, the AquaClear filters looked great but can't find them anywhere! I already have an Eheim filter and have been impressed with it so I may stick with the brand. Thanks for everyones help. x

Having said that if you really want an AquaClear.. you could always do what I did and get one imported from USA via Amazon.com only took 8 working days BUT you would need a voltage convertor.. or.. the Pump motor from an Fluval Edge filter.. which is an AquaClear 20 renamed but the pump motor is the same as the hole AquaClear range 20-110 but the fluval edge motor pump would be our 240v so no convertor needed (the second one is what I did)

I think a canister filter would be great for you. They're heavy duty and are usually very quiet. Eheim is a good brand, like you said.

To be honest I'm really just stopping by to say I love your Family Guy inspired user name. :hi5

I think a canister filter would be great for you. They're heavy duty and are usually very quiet. Eheim is a good brand, like you said.

To be honest I'm really just stopping by to say I love your Family Guy inspired user name. :hi5

Haha. Thanks! I glad someone noticed :thumbup2:

I would say two AC70's would be perfect.

I have two AC110's n an 80 gal or 300L tank and i love them best filters ive ever had and they are quiet which is great :) Marineland is also also good and i know some people on here have them. I also have a Marineland Emperor 400 but for me i like the AC better.