New Tank! :)

I am happy to report that I finally saved up enough money to upgrade my goldfish tank! I have a black moor and a fantail in a 10 gallon that I have had set up for approximately a year. Some of you may remember Atlas and P-body from earlier posts. :) It is cycled (after many months of trial and error and help from you all!).

The new tank I bought is this one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4449731

It is a 27 gallon cube. I was nervous about the surface area being ok for them but it was the same as the rectangular 30 gallon I was considering (as long as I calculated correctly). It is 20x18x20. This one will also camouflage much better into a corner of my apartment. I am moving ahead with the "Don't ask permission, ask forgiveness later" theory and am hoping my landlord just won't notice I upgraded 20 gallons. :)

My questions are: What do I need to do to transfer them over safely and not lose my cycle? What differences will I notice with the larger tank (I am hoping you say less water changes necessary and easier to control temperature)? Do I need larger filtration? (My current filter is rated for 150 gph and is rated for 30 gallon.) Is there anything else I will need?

My current plan is to empty the water out of their current tank into the new one when we do a normal water change (~90%) and put a bubbler in so the water moves a bit until we have more "dirty" water to put in.

Any advice would be appreciated! I am very excited to finally be able to upgrade. :) I will post a video later on to show progress once I know what to do. Thanks!

Congratulations on your new tank and saving up for one. I love the fact that it is 18 inches wide. Filter wise you will need at least a 270gph. So you will need to get another filter. When I upgraded my tank I just took out the media from my older tank and put it into the newer tank along with the stones and artificial plants. I was able to put my fish into my tank then. You want to check water quality and make sure everything checks out okay with your API test kit for at least a week. This is what I did at least. I would still do a water change at least once a week of 50 to 80%. Looking forward to seeing your fish in there new home.

Thanks! I will start looking at larger filters. I figured as much, but wanted to make sure before I spent more money. Lol. :)

Make sure you have room for two filters on the back of your tank seeing it's only 20 inches. You might find yourself having to buy one big one. The down side on having only one is if it breaks then you don't have a "back up" filter. But, with that said, On my 34g tank I only have one filter that is huge for the tank. On my 55g I have two large filters. Good luck on your search. EDIT: ha ha if you buy one big filter to meet your gph you will have your 150gph as a back up. :) if you can't fit both on the back of your tank.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Hi Holly! :Congrats: on your new tank! :)

To move the fish over, make sure that you move the filter and all the media. As Cheryl said up above, you will want a bigger filter for your bigger tank, and the AC70 is perfect for this. You will need to run the filters concurrently for about 2-4 weeks before removing the old filter (if you wish). Gravel is optional, although it may be that you'll have a little cycle bump if you don't move the gravel. Even if you do, it's not a big deal, and you should decide on the gravel independent of having to worry about the cycle.

You don't need to move old water over. There really isn't any benefit to it.

I can't wait to see the new tank! :)

Hi Holly! :Congrats: on your new tank! :)

To move the fish over, make sure that you move the filter and all the media. As Cheryl said up above, you will want a bigger filter for your bigger tank, and the AC70 is perfect for this. You will need to run the filters concurrently for about 2-4 weeks before removing the old filter (if you wish). Gravel is optional, although it may be that you'll have a little cycle bump if you don't move the gravel. Even if you do, it's not a big deal, and you should decide on the gravel independent of having to worry about the cycle.

You don't need to move old water over. There really isn't any benefit to it.

I can't wait to see the new tank! :)

:) Thanks! I can't wait to see it up and running either. I wondered if there was any benefit in saving the old water. I will obviously watch the water quality like a hawk no matter what. I am going to need some refills for my test kit. Lol. What size filter should I aim for? I was thinking one rated for at least a 50 gallon. Do I need more than that? I can't find the one you mentioned unless AC70 means AquaClear 70 in which case I think I can get that one. :) (Is is this one? http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-70-Power-Filter-Includes/dp/B000260FUW )

I have a handful of glass gems in the bottom of the tank (found that much nicer/easier to keep clean than gravel. I like the bare bottom look too, but Atlas my fantail LOVES to move the stones around at night. He rearranges things constantly. :) I will move those over as well as the ornaments we have in the tank without cleaning them in case they have some good bacteria on them.

So, when moving day arrives for them, I should just dump old tank water into the new tank and fill it the rest of the way with fresh dechlorinated water? And move all gravel/ornaments over as well? I think I can hopefully fit my old filter on the back with the new one. I will take measurements as soon as I buy the new one. If not, will transferring just filter media work ok? I have a sponge and a biobag in the filter now so I could safely take one piece of it out and start the new filter too if that would be better before moving them over.

Does yours have the black trim on the tank?

I remember seeing my Petsmart selling that set w/ a rimless on it.

It does! :) I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it looks very nice now that I have it cleaned out. :) It has a glass top too so it should be nice.

Thanks! I will start looking at larger filters. I figured as much, but wanted to make sure before I spent more money. Lol. :)

Make sure you have room for two filters on the back of your tank seeing it's only 20 inches. You might find yourself having to buy one big one. The down side on having only one is if it breaks then you don't have a "back up" filter. But, with that said, On my 34g tank I only have one filter that is huge for the tank. On my 55g I have two large filters. Good luck on your search. EDIT: ha ha if you buy one big filter to meet your gph you will have your 150gph as a back up. :) if you can't fit both on the back of your tank.

I wasn't worried about this until I read your post and did some measuring. 20 inches is smaller than it seems. Lol. I think I will have to go with one larger one, but will have the old one as a good emergency backup. :)

Get the AquaClear 70. It's rated for a 70 gallon, but really is perfect for your size tank. You can dial down the flow rate if you need :)

When you move, move over everything. You could move over some old water, but that's really not necessary.

Get the AquaClear 70. It's rated for a 70 gallon, but really is perfect for your size tank. You can dial down the flow rate if you need :)

When you move, move over everything. You could move over some old water, but that's really not necessary.

I second the Fluval Aqua Clear 70. You will get a bit more gph for your new tank which is great. (the packaging has changed and has the name Fluval on it. OR, At least it did on my 110 when I bought it recently) You will love it.

I wasn't worried about this until I read your post and did some measuring. 20 inches is smaller than it seems. Lol. I think I will have to go with one larger one, but will have the old one as a good emergency backup. :)

Emergency backup is good. It will be good for you if you should need to qt a fish at any given time.

Start them off with 100% clean new water. They'll produce ammonia enough to feed the filter's bacteria in short order.

The fish are going to love all their new space! Please post pics once you get things set up. Wheee!

The fish will tell you how happy they are--when I moved 4 (yes, 4--they were all small, but still!!) from a 10 gal (where they had lived for about 2 mos) to the 55, there was so much fishy joy it was absurd. If they could have grinned, they would have. It was really heartening to see, and made it well worth the cost. :)

My personal opinion is to - if possible - let both the old and new AC70 run on this for good. That way you will always have a spare filter (the smaller, older one) ready in case you need to QT one of the fish :)

Congrats on the new tank! :)

My personal opinion is to - if possible - let both the old and new AC70 run on this for good. That way you will always have a spare filter (the smaller, older one) ready in case you need to QT one of the fish :)

Congrats on the new tank! :)

As long as I can fit them both on the back of the tank, that is my plan. My AC70 is coming in the mail (stupid slow shipping!) so I will hopefully know soon. :)

Kind of an unrelated question...will the larger tank help keep the temperature down? I am really hoping so. I have put 8 ice cube trays full into the tank today because my water keeps getting too hot. I am happy about warmer weather but so far my fish are not. Lol. :)

Kind of an unrelated question...will the larger tank help keep the temperature down? I am really hoping so. I have put 8 ice cube trays full into the tank today because my water keeps getting too hot. I am happy about warmer weather but so far my fish are not. Lol. :)

How warm does the water get?

I am rather strictly against adding ice to the water, as this will cool the water only temporarily, and then it will go back up. These temperature fluctuations stress fish even more than a stable higher temperature.

During summer, my tanks go up to the low and mid 80s, and the fish are fine as the temperature is stable.

Just think of ponds outside, they are not cool during the summer either, yet the fish are alright. :)

But to answer your question: yes, a larger tank will keep a more stable temperature than a smaller one. :)

How warm does the water get?

I am rather strictly against adding ice to the water, as this will cool the water only temporarily, and then it will go back up. These temperature fluctuations stress fish even more than a stable higher temperature.

During summer, my tanks go up to the low and mid 80s, and the fish are fine as the temperature is stable.

Just think of ponds outside, they are not cool during the summer either, yet the fish are alright. :)

But to answer your question: yes, a larger tank will keep a more stable temperature than a smaller one. :)

I try to keep the temp around 76-77. If it gets higher than that, they start hanging out near the surface or swimming around really fast. :( I heard not to let it get above 80, but usually it doesn't get that high before I catch it (that may not be correct info because I think I got it out of either the literature that came with the test kit or a book from the library). When I put ice in, the temp usually only goes down by 1-2 degrees F. I do add a drop of Prime when I add ice just in case too. Is there a better way to keep it cooler? I don't want to do anything that makes it worse. :( I broke down and turned the AC on today but hoping I don't have to do that as much with the new tank.

Unless it gets above 90, I wouldn't worry so much about icing it. You will want to make sure the tank is really well aerated at the higher temps to increase the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water, though.

But yes, the bigger volume of water means that the temps should remain more stable, although it will still climb up. :)

Hanging near the surface as you describe it is usually more oxygen related. Another way to cool the tank is by creating a lot of splash.

Raise the filter outlets, or lower the water level an inch or two, depending on how your setup works. The more splash there is, the more dissolved oxygen in the water, and the water will also remain cooler than if the surface is still. I am sure you have probably noticed that outdoors in summer too that little streams are usually cooler than still water, even with both exposed to the same weather conditions :)

Hanging near the surface as you describe it is usually more oxygen related. Another way to cool the tank is by creating a lot of splash.

Raise the filter outlets, or lower the water level an inch or two, depending on how your setup works. The more splash there is, the more dissolved oxygen in the water, and the water will also remain cooler than if the surface is still. I am sure you have probably noticed that outdoors in summer too that little streams are usually cooler than still water, even with both exposed to the same weather conditions :)

That makes a lot of sense! We lowered the water level a bit and turned the bubbles up and it has helped a lot! Thanks! :)

Getting the new tank ready to move them over! Got the filter in the mail today. SO EXCITED! :)