Sign in to follow this  
BurningIvy

Lucas, revisited.

Hi again, my little guy Lucas is sick again. He has not completed prazi and after his 1.5% salt dip reaction I did not continue to a higher salt concentration. He begins round 5 of prazi tomorrow. I am concerned because he is sitting on the top of his sponge filter and letting himself get hit by the bubbles... all day. He swims when he sees me (or gets food) but other wise sits right there. Another thing is when I observed him yesterday I noticed a small patch of his body where there appears to be a red dot. I thought i saw something weird like that after his last salt dip but thought maybe it was stress or a scratch or something. I think it's strange it is still here. I can't get a picture to capture it my camera just is not that good. He has not had any growth either in the past month. Parasite? Worms? I don't really know what else to do but salt and prazi. I do have metro if needed. I will attempt video later but my camera is super slow to upload from my phone.

• * Ammonia Level (tank):0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)0
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.8
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? n/a
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime, baking soda, crushed coral
  • * Water temperature? 73*
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? prazi schedule only 100% changes on the w/c days.

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday, 100%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 3 G (I know too small he is scheduled to jump to his 20G this next week)
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? just him, 1 inch maybe.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice per day soilent green or super green
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank?prazi and salt
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) was bottomsitting, being treated for flukes.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? red dot and off colored scales (like his whole body is WHITE but the scales near the dot are white if that makes sense)
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Sitting atop the sponge filter
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. prazi and salt at present no previous treatment

Go ahead and feed him some metro. I think you can hold off on the Prazi for now. :)

Sorry to hear Lucas is sick. i hope he feels better soon.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he gets better soon.

Thanks guys.

Alex, how much metro should I give him? He's so little. Should I crush it up?

At least the amount that you normally feed him.

Crush it if it helps him eat it. :)

Definitely going to have to crush it! Thanks!

He hasn't yet acknowledged the MMs. He has only ever been fed gel food so maybe he's picky? Or is this a bad sign?

He hasn't yet acknowledged the MMs. He has only ever been fed gel food so maybe he's picky? Or is this a bad sign?

See if he will eat the gel. If he does, we can convert MMs into gel. :)

Will do. Gel food is actually firming up as we type.

Spoke to soon, the little guy suddenly got hungry. I just watched him take a bite. Small bite but a bit just the same. Now he's nudging all the other little chunks... maybe considering eating them too?

Sounds good. He may have just been confused about the change of food. :)

You're probably right. Should I still try gel food? Or just hope he liked the mms?

Well, let's see how he does tomorrow as well. It's better when the MMs have not been adulterated.

Good point. We will see in the morning!

Oh no! I hope little Hannibal gets better really quick!

He's not really taking to the food. he pushed it all around into the corners so I'm assuming what I saw him eat is all he ate. i put in some more for the morning feed and he just stayed up on the sponge.

Try a little piece of gel to see if he would eat that, Kayla. Poor Lucas. :(

Oh no, I hope he feels better soon. Good luck!

I'll give it a shot. I really hate worrying about the little one. He's so spunky.

I'll give it a shot. I really hate worrying about the little one. He's so spunky.

I know. :(

Gel food in... he seems uninterested. =/ But since last nights 100% water change there is new poop. Good sign I think.

Edited by BurningIvy

Yes, he just may not be eating as much.

Anyway, if you are interested in making MM gel, I would just do half and half. (Half pellets and half water). You have to crush the pellets first. I use 1 packet of gelatin per cup, so scale it down. Don't use half a cup of MMs to make the food. :)

Okay =) thanks. I'll get some gelatin tonight.

Last night I added in 3 whole pieces (each had been broken in half) so 6 small Lucas' mouth sized pieces of MMs. I woke up this morning to find all 6 exactly where I left them =/ He is still sitting on the sponge.