Quarantine, etc. for lily

So umm... I got excited and bought this monster and his little brother for my aquarium:

picture163_zpsa4a6df1e.jpg

picture161_zpsf5baa908.jpg

picture158_zps74ec3b6e.jpg

picture156_zpsa851a67e.jpg

picture165_zps60dd4b69.jpg

They were marked as 'Giant dwarf lily with bulb' and 'green tiger lotus bulb'.

my questions: How to sterilize these? They came from a reputable source that never sells sick fish, but they came from tanks with healthy fish. No pond snails, nothing ugly on them except a bit of green hair algae on the big lily. Should I just qt? Hit them with bleach? Don't bother and just add them in considering their source?

Also, would it be a good idea to remove the bulb from the big lily?

Now it's time to shop for a better light for my tank. The lilies are going to need it, I think.

Wow! that thing is huge!!!

I personally like to do some sort of dip on any plants I add to the tank regardless of the source. One of those better safe than sorry sort of things I guess.

I have never had a lilly so I cannot say for certain that bleach will not harm it, so hopefully others will chime in if they have experience. I have bleached many seemingly more delicate plants though without issue :idont Just bleached some delicate stem plants today in fact! :D My guess is that it will be fine.

I want to see those stem plants, Jess. :)

Thanks, guys. :D

lol. they went in the betta tank, I will post some updates of the betta tank tomorrow. My lfs had some rotala indica and hemianthus umbrosum (one of the many baby tears) and I couldn't resist. But I haven't figured out where to put all the other plants that were in there yet! too many plants.

DUDE Thats a HUGE plant :tomuch:

Koko, I did go a little overboard. :rofl

Wish I could help I got mine in a fish free dry cup at the nursery so I never had to qt. but they do grow fast

Gus, do you still have yours? I'm in the process of looking for a good lighting option for it and wonder what you used?

• Admin

Wish I could help I got mine in a fish free dry cup at the nursery so I never had to qt. but they do grow fast

Gus, do you still have yours? I'm in the process of looking for a good lighting option for it and wonder what you used?

I cant wait to see it in the tank :)

yes I do it's even about to flower and I just have plain lighting that came with the tank and I have that on for seven hours each day and , I do get get a little bit of sunlight in the morning but its only for 30 mins,, so I think they are quite easy to grow Edited by Gustave

I actually got it as a lucky find at my LFS. If you want a full plant like that, though, check pond stores online. If you have something like countryside greenhouse near you then they have them in the summer, too.