Invasion of the brown algae!

oh my goodness, from last week to this week I've had a very sudden outbreak of brown algae... everywhere!!!

Any suggestions on what I can do to bring this down? I dont particularly want to add anything to my tank if I dont have to because Sasha has one heck of an air-gulping problem that I thought I resolved but came back with vengeance,

Any and all suggestions are super welcomed!!!

Is your light over a year old? browen algae seems to thrive when a light looses its power!!!

Diatoms differ from other algae in that they need sillcate to make their shells. They also need little light.

So things that make them thrive are low light, a water source rich in silicates, new tanks in which the glass leaches silicate, new gravel - for the same reason, and a lack of other kinds of algae. Generally, they will gradually fade away as a tank matures -- very gradually.

I believe a lot of sun encourages general algae growth.

Maybe scrub it and move it out of intense sunlight?

Hope your problem gets resolved.

I've never had brown algae so I'm not much of a help, but I want to wish you luck!

Thanks hun!! :)

If you don't mind a tank mate for him, bristlenose plecos are brown algae destroying MACHINES! Otherwise, nerite snails, or just good, old fashioned elbow grease.

darn, I dont know if I really want to introduce something to the tank I feel like it's at capacity with one fish sadly :( Do snails create a lot of waste?

Nothing but scrubbing here.

Sounds like a plan to me!!

Is your light over a year old? browen algae seems to thrive when a light looses its power!!!

The light was bought at christmas, it's an LED marineland lightstrip :( Darn!!

Diatoms differ from other algae in that they need sillcate to make their shells. They also need little light.

So things that make them thrive are low light, a water source rich in silicates, new tanks in which the glass leaches silicate, new gravel - for the same reason, and a lack of other kinds of algae. Generally, they will gradually fade away as a tank matures -- very gradually.

The tank is almost a year old and running now sadly, I guess it can still be called new, but hopefully it will eventually it will fade... I guess in the meantime I need to scrub hard!! :o

I believe a lot of sun encourages general algae growth.

Maybe scrub it and move it out of intense sunlight?

Hope your problem gets resolved.

It's not in direct sunlight at all :( And I use LED lights. It gets some indirect light from the side, but the algae is growing everywhere :(

Thanks a bunch hun :hug

Diatoms SUCK.

Do they EVER! :( It makes my tank look unkept, which it definitely is NOT :(

Snails do produce some waste, but not nearly as much as a fish. They need about 2 gallons for a snail. What size is his tank?

It's a 22 gallon tank by calculations, but for safety's sake I'll say 20.

I wipe my tank down with each w/c, and the diatoms wipe right off. Are they very hard to scrub for you? Guess I got lucky! ;)

The green spot algae, however... Lol!

Nope, very easy to scrub. I think I should just keep scrubbing I guess

Snails, even nerites, generally don't eat much of the diatoms, unfortunately (at least among people I know). But a bristlenose pleco would hoover it right up. If the problem persists (sometimes it disappears quickly, but I once had a tank where I just couldn't shake the diatoms), do consider a BN. You're a meticulous fishkeeper, and with your maintenance regime I think it would be fine.

I've had this problem for about a month. I don't like it. My water is crystal clear but I see it mostly behind my heater and one of my filter tubes. My white stones start to brown after about 10 days or so. So what I've been doing is just tackling it way before it gets really bad/gross otherwise it gets all along the bottom edges. I do WC every 5 days and take out the stones during the 10th day and give them a good wash w/the fish water. I clean the inside of the tank with my algae brush whenever I see it. It's working for me. I've had my 55g tank set up back in Oct. last year and all of a sudden about a month ago.......bam. I'm waiting for the day it will stop.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Snails, even nerites, generally don't eat much of the diatoms, unfortunately (at least among people I know). But a bristlenose pleco would hoover it right up. If the problem persists (sometimes it disappears quickly, but I once had a tank where I just couldn't shake the diatoms), do consider a BN. You're a meticulous fishkeeper, and with your maintenance regime I think it would be fine.

I'm crossing my fingers that it'll leave!! :( horrible! I hope my tank wont want to hold onto these pesky things for too long!

I've had this problem for about a month. I don't like it. My water is crystal clear but I see it mostly behind my heater and one of my filter tubes. My white stones start to brown after about 10 days or so. So what I've been doing is just tackling it way before it gets really bad/gross otherwise it gets all along the bottom edges. I do WC every 5 days and take out the stones during the 10th day and give them a good wash w/the fish water. I clean the inside of the tank with my algae brush whenever I see it. It's working for me. I've had my 55g tank set up back in Oct. last year and all of a sudden about a month ago.......bam. I'm waiting for the day it will stop.

Oh my gosh I feel your pain, it's so darn unsightly and so much work to remove. I'm really anal about my tank... I dont feel like the tank gets too much light, but I will turn it off for a majority of the day to see if it gets any better.... darn. :( good luck with your diatom problem too :( this blows!