Diagnosis in vain, repenting.

Today I noticed some weird part on fish(flowerhorn) gill, Initially I thought it was just an area with no color. While ago I noticed that it is protruding little outwards like a lump or something. I tried observing it more closely but couldn't because fish was constantly moving. So, out of curiosity I tried netting fish out. Fish was quick and for long time I could't get her, out of frustration I tried to be more aggressive to catch him. Finally took him out and carefully touched that lump which was hard and not soft. Maybe its just normal so didn't bother much about it.

After releasing fish back into water again, fish was stressed and continued to stay in one corner for few minutes. After fish came back to normal I observed that my fish was injured nothing serious but his skin is scraped a little. I could see skin thread like hanging, its like a scratch not deep though. I am repenting and quite worried if he is really injured or something. As for now he is behaving same way as he does. Will it heal itself.

My fish is beautiful and I repent that why did I do this, feeling so bad. I couldn't resist switched on the laptop and started writing this post.

Sorry no pictures it is difficult.

I moved this too the tropical disease and discussion forum, can you answer the questions at the top? Thanks :)

Actually I purposely posted this into general.

I am afraid to tell you that I do not have anything to measure water parameters etc

Also I saw old picture of my fish and he had that thing. I am quite sure that water conditions are good as well as the filters.

Tank size: 60 gallon

Number of fish: single flowerhorn

Last water change: 5 days back

Amount of feeding- Two times a day

No unusual behaviour

No medications.

Hi, for diagnosis help, or general medical help for an ill tropical fish, please post in this section, rather than general discussion :)

Unfortunately I do not see how we can be of much help to you, unless you are able to really provide some more detail. The parameters are very important, so is there any place you can get this tested for you, like a local pet/fish shop?

If not, you should be able to purchase a liquid test kit online.

How large are your water changes?

Has the colouration of the lump changed at all, or is it still the same colour as the fish?

If you can get a picture, that would be extremely helpful.

Hi, for diagnosis help, or general medical help for an ill tropical fish, please post in this section, rather than general discussion :)

Unfortunately I do not see how we can be of much help to you, unless you are able to really provide some more detail. The parameters are very important, so is there any place you can get this tested for you, like a local pet/fish shop?

If not, you should be able to purchase a liquid test kit online.

How large are your water changes?

Has the colouration of the lump changed at all, or is it still the same colour as the fish?

If you can get a picture, that would be extremely helpful.

I am quite sure that its not an illness or something but just for sake I did that. Because fish was hurt so felt like sharing it.

I saw the previous pictures and my fish had it. Color of the lump is somewhat same. Its not lump exactly but its just a slight bulge.

I cannot test the water nobody has the kit.

My fish is very active and its not possible to get the exact picture to able to see that bulge.

(uploading video soon)

Edited by shuaib

• Supporter

here is where you can buy it at a good price on line, chris ships everywhere "successfully".. even to AU :)

http://tastyworms.com/api-freshwater-master-test-kit.html

also, you can take a water sample down to the fish shop and have it tested? please write down the actual values of the tests.

a video showing the external problem and the fish's behaviour will probably be more beneficial to us.

If you carefully see you can see that bulge on his top side of his left gill. And on the right side of the body you can see abrasion.

Here no local shop has the kit to test the water. I am also uploading a picture of the first day.

Image.

20130219_191438_zps157d0882.jpg

Here is the video.

http://s1242.photobu...7ec33c.mp4.html

th_20130406_194907_zps5d7ec33c.jpg

• Supporter

wow! not only is he an absolutely stunnng flowerhorn, but he's sooooooper fast!.. :)

and how long has that bump been there? it looks clean and could possibly be a little inflamed whilst healing, but doesn't look nasty like bleeding or infection forming. would you agree?

if they don't have the drops test kit, would the local store have strips for testing water? anything? just to give us an idea of what the water parameters are? it's really important for medicicating purposes.

I am so glad that you liked him.

I definitely agree, its just natural and that's why I did not posted this in disease section . If you see the picture of his first day you can see that bump kinda thing. I only posted because I injured my fish while netting him out, just wanted to share, still feeling sorry for him.

Here no local fish shop will test the water, nothing they have.

• Supporter

I am so glad that you liked him.

I definitely agree, its just natural and that's why I did not posted this in disease section . If you see the picture of his first day you can see that bump kinda thing. I only posted because I injured my fish while netting him out, just wanted to share, still feeling sorry for him.

Here no local fish shop will test the water, nothing they have.

i recommend you keep an eye out for it. sometimes, bumps like that can become infected or can be infection brewing. all it needs is a little blood or burst vein underneath where we cannot see it (especially if there's been an injury) and there could be problems. if within a few weeks, that bump is not reducing, then you will need to post back with water params as we may need to treat.

in the meantime, i strongly urge you to buy the water testing kit. it is very important particularly at the time of medicating. sometimes, if one param is off, medicines can actually cause more harm than good, even salt. not having this information will actually prevent us from helping you with your fish during critical times should medicines be required.